Combined Defence Services
General English Solved Paper II: 2005
(FILL IN THE BLANKS)
Directions (For the 10 items which follows): Each of the following ten sentences has a blank space and four words/group of words are given after the sentence. Out of these four choices, select the word/group of words which you consider the most appropriate for the blank space and mark your choice on the Answer Sheet.
1. The columnist was very gentle when he mentioned his friends, but was bitter and even .......... when he discussed people who irritated him.
(a) laconic (b) remorseful
(c) acerbic (d) stoical
2. Whereas off-Broadway theatre over the past several seasons has clearly ........... a talent for experimentation and improvisation, one deficiency in the commercial stage of late has been its marked incapacity for spontaneity.
(a) cultivated (b) lampooned
(c) spotted (d) disavowed
3. Her true feelings ............ themselves in her sarcastic asides; only then was her bitterness revealed.
(a) manifested (b) developed
(c) concealed (d) grieved
4. Although he was aware of the .......... of his plans, he insisted on their implementation.
(a) nature (b) futility
(c) exactness (d) usefulness
5. The newest fibre-optic cables that carry telephone calls across the country are made of glass so ........... that a piece 100 miles thick is clearer than a standard window-pane.
(a) fragile (b) transparent
(c) tangible (d) immaculate
6. Although several details of the hypothesis are open to criticism, its general information has not been ................... .
(c) corroborated (d) approximated
7. Book publishing has long been............. profession, partly because for younger editors the best way to win a raise or a promotion was to move on to another publishing house.
(a) an innovative
(b) an itinerant
(c) a rewarding (d) a prestigious
8. Her employers could not complain about her work because she was ............ in the execution of her duties.
(a) assiduous (b) derelict
(c) hidebound (d) arbitrary
9. Language, culture and personality may be considered independently of each other in thought, but they are ............ in fact.
(a) autonomous (b) pervasive
(c) inseparable (d) equivocal
10. If you are trying to make a strong impression on your audience, you cannot do so by being understated, tentative, or
(a) hyperbolic (b) restrained
(c) argumentative (d) passionate
Answers : 1. (c) 2. (a) 3. (a) 4. (b) 5. (b) 6. (a) 7. (b) 8. (a) 9. (c) 10. (b)