The Joint Public Service Commission, the precursor of the Punjab Public Service Commission, with its writ running from the Khyber Pass to the Jamuna near Delhi, was born at Lahore on May 1,1937. In the wake of the Partition, the Punjab Public Service Commission resurged in February, 1948, at Shimla with its revised jurisdiction extending over the then province of East Punjab. Following the merger of the States of Punjab and Pepsu, it shifted to Patiala on Nov.1st,1956. On 1stNov1966, its territorial jurisdiction again decreased due to the formation of the States of Haryana and Himachal Pradesh.
Article 315 lays down that there shall be a Public Service Commission for the Union and a Public Service Commission for each State.
A Public Service Commission is envisaged as an independent constitutional institution not subject to governmental or political interference or control and charged with the responsibility of recruitment and management of public services.