Punjab Public Service Commission
SYLLABI FOR THE EXAMINATION
PART-B PRELIMINARY EXAMINATION
LAW : CODE NO. (09)
- Nature and concept of law.
- Schools of Jurisprudence : Analytical, Historical, Philosophical,
Sociological and Natural.
- Administration of Justice : Theories of punishment.
- Sources of Law : Customs, Precedent and Legislation.
- A few basic Legal concepts:
(i) Rights and Duties.
(ii) Legal Personality.
(iii) Ownership and Possession.
Constitutional Law of India
- Salient features of the Indian Constitution.
- Fundamental Rights, Directive Principles and Fundamental Duties.
- Constitutional position and powers of President and Governors.
- Supreme Court and High Courts: Jurisdiction, powers, appointment and
transfer of Judges.
- Union Public Service Commission and State Public Service Commissions:
Powers and functions.
- Distribution of Legislative and Administrative Powers between the Union
and the States ;
- Emergency Provisions ;
- Amendment of the Constitution.
International Law :
- Nature and definition of International Law ;
- Sources: Treaty, Custom, General Principles of Law recognized by
civilized nations, and subsidiary means of determination of law ;
- State Recognition and State Succession ; The United Nations, its
objectives, purpose and Principal Organs; Constitution, role and
jurisdiction of International Court of Justice ;
- Protection of Human Rights :
(i) Provisions in the UN Charter ;
(ii) Universal Declaration of Human Rights, 1948 ;
(iii) International Covenant of Civil and Political Rights, 1966 ;
(iv) International Covenant on Economic, Social and Cultural Rights, 1966.
- Nature and definition of Tort ;
- Liability based on fault and strict liability ;
- Vicarious Liability including State Liability ;
- Joint Tort-feasors ;
- Negligence ;
- Defamation ;
- Conspiracy ;
- Nuisance ;
- False imprisonment ;
- Malicious Prosecution.
Criminal Law :
- General Principles of criminal liability: Mens rea and actus reus ;
- Preparation and criminal attempts ;
- General exceptions ;
- 4. Joint and constructive liability ;
- 5. Abetment ;
- 6. Criminal Conspiracy ;
- 7. Sedition ;
- 8. Murder and culpable homicide ;
- Theft: extortion, robbery and dacoity ;
- Misappropriation and Criminal breach of trust.
Law of Contract :
- Definition of contract ;
- Basic elements of contract: Offer, acceptance, consideration,
contractual capacity ;
- Factors vitiating consent ;
- Void, Voidable, illegal and unenforceable agreements ;
- Wagering agreements ;
- Contingent contracts ;
- Performance of contracts ;
- Dissolution of contractual obligations: frustration of contracts ;
- Quasi-contracts ;
- Remedies for breach of contract.