Punjab Public Service Commission
SYLLABI FOR THE EXAMINATION
PART-B PRELIMINARY EXAMINATION
SOCIOLOGY : CODE NO. (16)
Unit I : Basic Concepts :
- Society, community, association, institution, Culture: culture change,
diffusion, Cultural: tag, Cultural relativism, ethnocentrism,
- Social Groups: primary, secondary and reference groups. Social
structure, social system, social action. Status and role, role conflict,
- Norms and values: conformity and deviance, Law and customs.
Socio-cultural processes : socialisation, assimilation, integration,
cooperation, competition, conflict, accommodation, social distance, relative
Unit II : Marriage, Family and Kinship :
- Marriage : types and forms, marriage as contract, and as a sacrament.
- Family : types, functions and changes.
- Kinship : terms and usages, rules of residence, descent, inheritance.
Unit III : Social Stratification :
- Forms and functions; Caste and Class. Jajmani system, purity and
pollution, dominant caste, sanskritisation.
Unit IV : Types of Society :
- Tribal, agrarian, industrial and post-industrial.
Unit V : Economy and Society :
- Man, nature and social production, economic systems of simple and
complex societies, noneconomic determinants of economic behaviour, market
(free) economy and controlled (planned) economy.
Unit VI : Industrial and Urban Society :
- Rural: Urban Continuum, urban growth and urbanisation: town, city and
metropolis; basic features of industrial society; impact of automation of
society; industrialisation and environment.
Unit VII : Social Demography :
- Population size, growth, composition and distribution in India;
components of population growth: births, deaths and migration; causes and
consequences of population growth; population and social development;
Unit VIII : Political Processes :
- Power, authority and legitimacy; political socialisation; political
modernisation, pressure groups; caste and politics.
Unit IX : Weaker Sections and Minorities :
- Social justice: equal opportunity and special opportunity; protective
discrimination; constitutional safeguards.
Unit X : Social Change :
- Theories of change; factors of change; science, technology and change.
Social movements: Peasant Movement, Women’s Movement, Backward Caste
Movement, Dalit Movement.