Union Public Service Commission
SYLLABI FOR THE EXAMINATION
History of Dogri Language and Literature (Answers must be written in
Section-A : History of Dogri Language
1. Dogri language : Origin and development through different stages.
2. Linguistic boundaries of Dogri and its dialects.
3. Characteristic features of Dogri language.
4. Structure of Dogri Language :
(a) Sound Structure : Segmental : Vowels and Consonants Non-Segmental : Length,
Stress, Nasalization, Tone and Juncture.
(b) Morphology of Dogri :
(i) Inflection Categories : Gender, Number, Case, Person, Tense and Voice.
(ii) Word Formation : use of prefixes, infixes and suffixes.
(iii) Vocabulary : Tatsam, tadbhav, foreign and regional.
(c) Sentence Structure : Major Sentence - types and their constituents,
agreement and concord in Dogri syntax.
5. Dogri Language and Scripts : Dogre/ Dogra Akkhar, Devanagari and Persian.
Section-B : History of Dogri Literature :
1. A brief account of Pre-independence Dogri Literature : Poetry & Prose.
2. Development of modern Dogri Poetry and main trends in Dogri Poetry.
3. Development of Dogr i shor t -story, main trends & prominent short-story
4. Development of Dogri Novel, main trends & contribution of Dogri Novelists.
5. Development of Dogri Drama & contribution of prominent Playwrights.
6. Development of Dogri Prose : Essays, Memoirs & Travelogues.
7. An introduction to Dogri Folk literature - Folk songs, Folk tales & Ballads.
Textual Cristisim of Dogri Literature (Answers must be written in Dogri)
Section-A : Poetry
1. Azadi Paihle Di Dogri Kavita. The following poets : Ramdhan, Hardutt,
Pahari Gandhi Almast.
2. Modern Dogri Poetry Azadi Bad Di Dogri Kavita The following poets :
Kishan Smai lpur i , Tara Smai lpur i , Mohan Lal Sapolia, Yash Sharma, Jitendra
Udhampuri, Charan Singh and Prakash Premi.
3. Sheeraza Dogri Number 102, Ghazal Ank. The following poets : Ram Lal Sharma,
Ved Pal Deep, N.D. Jamwal , Shiv Ram Deep, Ashwini Magotra and Virendra Kesar.
4. Sheeraza Dogri Number 147, Ghazal Ank The following poets : R.N. Shast r i ,
Ji tendra Udhampur i , Champa Sharma and Darshan Darshi.
5. Ramayan (Epic) by Shambhu Nath Sharma (upto Ayodhya Kand)
6. Veer Gulab (Khand Kavya) by Dinoo Bhai Pant.
Section-B : Prose
1. Ajakani Dogri Kahani
The following short story writers : Khajuria and B.P. Sathe.
2. Ajakani Dogri Kahani Part-II The following Short Story writters : Ved Rahi,
Narsingh Dev Jamwal, Om Goswami, Chhattrapal, Lalit Magotra, Chaman Arora and
3. Khatha Kunj Bhag II The following Story writters : Om Vidyarthi, Champa
Sharma and Krishan Sharma
4. Meel Patthar (collection of short stories) by Bandhu Sharma
5. Kaiddi (Novel) by Desh Bandhu Dogra Nutan
6. Nanga Rukkh (Novel) by O.P. Sharma Sarathi.
7. Nayaan (Drama) by Mohan Singh.
8. Satrang (A collection of one act plays)
The following pay wrights : Shastri, Jitendra Sharma, Lalit Magotra and Madan
9. Dogri Lalit Nibandh The following authors : Mishra, Balkrishan Shastri, Shiv
Nath, Shyam Lal Sharma, Lakshmi Narayan, D.C. Prashant, Ved Ghai, Kunwar Viyogi.