Union Public Service Commission
SYLLABI FOR THE EXAMINATION
(Pãli Language) (N.B. All answers must be written in Pali language in
Devanãgarî or Roman Script)
1. Origin and Homeland of Pãli and its characteristics.
2. Pãli Grammar-(I) Technical Terms of Sabbanãma, Ãkhyãta, Upasagga, Samãsa;
(IV) Sandhi; (V) Taddhita. (Apaccabodhaka-and Ãdhikãrabodhaka-Paccaya); (VI)
Etymological derivation of the following words :- Buddho, Bhikkhu, Sãmanero,
Satthã, Dhammo, Latãyã, Purisãnam, Tumhe, Amhebhi, Munina, Rattîsu, Phalãya,
Atthîsu, Raññam, Sangho.
3. Translation of two Pãli unseen passages into English.
4. Essays consisting of 300 words on any one of the following : Ti lakkhanam,
(c) Ar iyo at thañgiko maggo, (d) Cattãri ariyasaccãni, (e) Kammavãdo (f)
Paticcasamuppãdo, (g) Nibbãnam paramam sukham, (h) T i p i t a k am, ( i ) Dh
amma p a d am, ( j ) Majjhimã-Patipadã.
5. Summary of Pãli passages.
6. Explanation of Pãli verses in Pãli.
7. Indeclinables (Abyaya and Nipãta) and their use in candidates’ own Pãli
sentences : (I) Atha, (II) Antarã, (III) Addhã, (IV) Kadã, (V) Kittãvatã, (VI)
Ahorattam, (VII) Divã, (VIII) Yathã, (IX) Ce, (X) n ã , ( X I I ) Kudãcannam,
(XIII) Saddhim, (XIV) Antarena, (XV) Kho, (XVI) Mã, (XVII) Evam, (XVIII) Ettha,
(XIX) Kira, (XX) Pana.
There will be two compulsory questions which must be answered in Pali
Languege in Devanagari or Roman Script. The remaining questions must be
attempted either in Pali or in the medium of examination opted by the candidate.
(i) Life and teachings of Buddha from the Pãli sources.
(ii) History of Pali Literature-Canonical and Non-Canonical with reference to
the following books and authors: Mahãvagga, Cul lavagga, Pãt imokkha,
Mahãvamsa, Dãthãvamsa, Sãsanavamsa, Milindapanha, Petakopadesa, Nettippakarana,
Buddhadatta, Buddhaghosa and Dhammapãla.
1. Textual questions, critical comments and annotated translations would be
asked from the following prescribed texts :-
(i) Dîghã-Nikãya (Only the SãmaññaphalaSutta)
(ii) Sutta-nipãta (Only the KhaggavisanaSutta and Dhaniya-Sutta)
( iii ) Dhammapada (Only the f i rst f ive Vaggã-s)
(iv) Milindapanha (Only the Lakkhanapanha)
(v) Mahavamsa (Only the Tatiya-Sangiti)
(vi) Abhidhammattha-sangaha (First, Second and Sixth Chapters)
(vii) Pãli Prosody : Vuttodaya-Anutthubha, Indavajirã, Upendavajirã,
Vasantatilakã, Mãlinî, Sikharinî, Upajati, totaka, Dodhaka, Vamsattha.
(viii) Pãli Rhetoric : Subodhãlankãrã - Yamaka, Anuppãsa, Rûpaka, Upama,
Atisayutti, Vyatireka, Nidassanã, Atthantaranyãsa, Dîpaka, Ditthanta.
2. Short Notes on Buddhist concepts dealt within the
3. Explanation of Pãli Verses from the prescribed texts.