Indian Statistical Service Exam
1. Stochastic Processes: Specifications of a Stochastic Process,
Markov chains, classification of states, limiting probabilities; stationary
distribution; Random walk and Gambler’s ruin problem. Poisson process, Birth and
death process; applications to Queues-M/M/I and M/M/C models. Branching Process.
2. Operations Research: Elements of linear programming. Simplex
procedure. Pirnciple of duality. Transport and assignment problems. Single and
multi-period inventory control models. ABC analysis. General simulation
problems. Replacemnet models for items that fail and or items that deteriorate.
3. Demography and Vital Statistics: The life table, its constitution
and properties. Makehams and Gompertz curves. National life tables. UN model
life tables. Abridged life tables. Stable and stationary populations. Different
birth rates. Total fertility rate. Gross and net reproduction rates. Different
mortality rates. Standardised death rate. Internal and international migration:
net migration. International and postcensal estimates. Projection method
including logistic curve fitting. Decennial population census in India.
4. Computer Application and Data Processing:
- Computer system concepts: Computer system components and
functions. The Central Processing unit, Main memory, Bit, Byte, Word,
Input/Output Devices, Speeds and memory Capacities in computer systems.
- Software concepts: Overview of Operating Systems, Types and
Functions of Operating System, application Software, Software for
multi-tasking, multi-programming, Batch Processign Mode, Time sharing mode,
Concept of System Support Programme, Overview of Existing Software packages
on Word Processing and Spreadsheets. Overview of an application Specific
Programme: Flow charts, Basics of Algorithm, Fundamental of design and
analysis of Algorithm; Basics of data structure, Queue, Stack.
Data Processing Data processing:
- Digital Number System, Number conversions, Binary representation of
integers, Binary representation of real numbers, Logical Data element like
character, fields, records, files, Fundamentals of data transmission and
processing incluidng error control and error processing.
- Data base management: Data Resource management. Data base and
file organisation and procesing. (a) Direct, (b) Sequantial, (c) Indexed
Sequential file. Concepts of Client Server architecture, Data Base
Administrator. An overview of DBMS software.