(THE GIST OF PIB) Dairy Sector
- Union Minister for Fisheries, Animal Husbandry and Dairying chaired a virtual program organised on the occasion of World Milk Day. Every year, the first day of June is observed as World Milk Day.
Gopal Ratna Awards:
- On the occasion, the Minister announced the launch of the National Awards for the Cattle and Dairy sector, the Gopal Ratna Awards.
- The award has three categories –
1. Best Dairy farmer,
2. Best Artificial Insemination Technician (AIT) and
3. Best Dairy Cooperative/ Milk producer Company/ FPO.
- Eligible farmers/dairy cooperative societies/ AI technicians can apply for award online and portal for award will open from 15th July 2021. Winners for the award will be announced on 31st October 2021.
- He also announced integration of e Gopala App with UMANG platform so that 3.1 Crore users of Umang platform will get access to App.
- e-GOPALA app (Generation of wealth through Productive Livestock), a comprehensive breed improvement marketplace and information portal for direct use of farmers, had been launched by Hon’ble PM on 10th September 2020.
Milk sector in India:
- India is the world’s largest milk producer. India accounts for over one-fifth of the global milk production. This is followed by the US, China, Pakistan and Brazil.
- India produced 198.4 million tonnes of milk during 2019-20.
- Value of output of milk is more than Rs 7.72 lakh crore during 2018-19 at current prices which is more than the value of output of wheat and paddy together.
- Milk Production has grown at an average annual growth rate of 6.3% per year during last 6 years whereas world milk production is growing at the rate of 1.5% per year.
- Percapita availability of milk has increased from 307 grams per person per day in 2013-14 to 406 grams per person per day in 2019-2020 that is y 32.24%.