(The Gist of PIB) 750th birth anniversary of Vedanta Desikan [MAY-2019]
(The Gist of PIB) 750th
birth anniversary of Vedanta Desikan [MAY-2019]
750th birth anniversary of Vedanta
- The Vice President, Venkaiah Naidu released a postage stamp to
commemorate the 750th birth anniversary of Sri Vedanta Desikan in New Delhi.
- Sri Vedanta Desikan (1268–1369), born in present day Tamil Nadu is also
known as Swami Desika, Swami Vedanta Desika, Thoopul Nigamaantha Desikan.
- He was a multi-faceted personality – a spiritual teacher, a scientist, a
logician, a mathematician, a literary genius, a linguist, a military
strategist and much more. He was conferred the title of
‘Sarva-tantra-swatantra’ or master of all arts and crafts.
- He was one of the prominent philosophers in the in the Sri Vaishnava
tradition in post-Ramanuja period. One of the essential features of his
philosophy was the aspect of inclusion. Anyone, irrespective of caste and
creed could join the Sri Vaishnava fold.
- He had authored brilliant poems, prose, drama, epics, commentaries,
scientific texts and philosophical treatises in Sanskrit, Tamil, Prakrit and
Manipravalam (a mixture of Sanskrit and Tamil).
- Some of his prominent works are Hayagriva Stotram, Abheethistavam,
Achyutha Satakam, Bhagavat Dhyana Sopanam and Kamasikasthaka
- He received other titles such as ‘Kavitarkika-kesari’ and ‘Kavitarkika-simham’,
the lion amongst poets.
- In July 2018, British parliamentarians cutting across party lines joined
several Hindu leaders in the UK at the House of Commons complex in London to
commemorate the 750th birth anniversary of Vedanta Desika.