(The Gist of PIB) UNNATI (UNlocking NATional Energy Efficiency Potential) [APRIL-2019]
(The Gist of PIB) UNNATI (UNlocking
NATional Energy Efficiency Potential) [APRIL-2019]
UNNATI (UNlocking NATional Energy
- Ministry of Power, Government of India expanded its ambitious Standards
& Labelling (Star Rating) program for Energy Efficient for Appliances to
cover the Microwave Ovens and Washing Machines (with revised parameters) in
Aim of this initiatives
- The Star Labelling Programs has been formulated by Bureau of Energy
- The program will now include these two appliances for grant of Star
Rating in terms of their energy performance.
- Initially, the program for above two appliances will be implemented on a
voluntary basis and will be valid up to 31st December 2020.
- This initiative will promote advancement of technology and energy
efficiency in Microwaves Ovens which is becoming a popular household gadget.
- As regard to the launch of revised program for Washing Machines, he
commended BEEs efforts to revise the criteria for inclusion of water
efficiency in addition to energy performance for grant of Star Rating.
- It will estimated savings of over 3.0 Billion Units of electricity at
consume-end through adoption of Star Rated Microwave Ovens and Washing
Machines by 2030.
- This would be equivalent to GreenHouse Gases (GHG) reduction of 2.4
Million-ton of CO2 by the year 2030 through these initiatives.
- The size of Indian Microwave Oven market stood at 1.21 million units in
year FY 2017-18 and is projected to grow at a Compound Annual Growth Rate (CAGR)
of around 2%.
- Whereas, the size of Indian Washing Machine market stood at 6.1 million
units in year FY 2017-18 and is projected to grow at a CAGR of around 8%
fuelled by a growth in urbanization.
- Therefore, it is important to optimize energy performance of Microwave
Ovens and Washing Machines.
- This will create awareness amongst the domestic consumers to encourage
transition towards energy efficient microwave ovens and Washing machines.
Unlocking NATional Energy Efficiency potential (UNNATEE):
- Bureau of Energy Efficiency (BEE) has developed a national strategy
document for accelerating energy efficiency in India.
- The strategy document titled UNNATEE (Unlocking NATional Energy
Efficiency potential) describes a plain framework and implementation
strategy to establish a clear linkage between energy supply-demand scenarios
and energy efficiency opportunities.
- The document offers a comprehensive roadmap to address India’s
environmental and climate change mitigation action through energy efficiency
- The document has now been released for larger public consultation and
seeking comments/ valuable inputs from all the stakeholders.
- This exercise is first of its kind, clearly delineating the energy
efficiency targets for the respective demand sectors upto the state levels.
- Developing India’s blueprint of effective energy efficiency strategy is
a leap towards stimulating energy efficiency ecosystem and enabling
reduction of the pressure on demand. PwC India has assisted BEE in executing
- This document has been prepared after extensive discussion with various
departments, organisations and authorities.