(GIST OF SCIENCE REPORTER) CSIR Fights Covid-19
CSIR Fights Covid-19
- The CRISPR-Cas9-based test developed by CSIR-IGIB in collaboration with Tata Sons recently received regulatory approval from the Drugs Controller General of India (DCGI) for commercial launch, as per ICMR guidelines.
- The test dubbed FELUDA meets high-quality benchmarks with 96% sensitivity and 98% specificity for detecting the novel coronavirus. The test uses an indigenously developed, cutting edge CRISPR technology for detection of the genomic sequence of SARS-CoV-2 virus.
- The CRISPR test is the world’s first diagnostic test to deploy a specially adapted Cas9 protein to successfully detect the virus causing Covid-19. The ‘Made in India’ test is safe, reliable, affordable, and accessible. It achieves accuracy levels of traditional RT-PCR tests, with quicker turnaround time, less expensive equipment, and better ease of use.
- Moreover, CRISPR is a futuristic technology that can also be configured for detection of multiple other pathogens in the future.
CSIR-IICT and Cipla Foundation Partnership to Develop High-quality Masks
- The CSIR-Indian Institute of Chemical Technology (CSIRIICT) is collaborating with the Cipla Foundation (CF) for a project on face masks in the wake of COVID-19. The project on affordable, multilayered, hydrophobic face masks with anti-microbial properties, entitled “SAANS”, is for production of one lakh high-quality masks for distribution in identified mandals of Rural Telangana.
- The project envisages multiple beneficiaries such as enhancing the income of the entrepreneur (start-ups or MSME’s), generating employment to SHGs and improving the quality of hygienic life in rural areas for mitigation of the COVID-19.
Decontamination Box “SURAKSHA”
- In association with AMESYS India, Central Scientific Instruments Organisation (CSIO), Chandigarh, has come up with a microorganism decontamination box which has been named “SURAKSHA”. The box is equipped with UVC light and heat to sanitize an object just within 10-15 minutes. The box is capable of decontaminating routine items including wallet, keys, mobile, masks, etc. The box is suitable for places like homes, barber-shops, restaurants and hospital units.
CMERI Durgapur Develops Thermal Scanner, Touch-less Faucet and Car Flusher:
- The CSIR-Central Mechanical Engineering Research Institute (CMERI), Durgapur has developed a unique “COVID Protection System (COPS)”. The system includes Contactless Solar Based Intelligent Mask Automated Dispensing Unit cum Thermal Scanner (IntelliMAST), Touch-less Faucet (TouF) and 360-degree Car Flusher to effectively disinfect virus spread in workplaces. COPS is a conglomeration of the following technologies:
1. Solar Based Intelligent Mask Automated Dispensing Unit cum Thermal Scanner (IntelliMAST):
- This is an intelligent surveillance kiosk that identifies the body temperature and whether an individual is wearing Face Mask or not through a customized Software Solution. Information about an employee not wearing a Face Mask is sent to the Administration for cashless delivery of the mask and later deduction of the price from the salary.
- The in-built Thermal Scanner detects probable rise in body temperature through forehead scanning and sends an audio-visual alert to the Security Guards. Facial Recognition based & ID Card based Attendance System will be incorporated into the system in the near future as a comprehensive solution for offices, industrial complexes as well as schools and college campuses.
2. Touch-less Faucet (TouF):
- Effective for households and office spaces, the system dispenses liquid soap and water from the same faucet with a time gap of 30 seconds, which is as per the latest Government guidelines.
- The faucet can be mounted on top of any washbasin and will be available in plug and play mode for very easy installation.
3. 360° Car Flusher:
- The Car Flusher is a Sodium Hypochlorite Water Screen that uses a specialised nozzle design to ensure that the sanitizer-diffused water is evenly spread over and under-car body/wheels with adequate water force and coverage.
- The architecture of the Car Flusher is based on a Water Channel Frame with an appropriate number of specialised nozzles which can be customised and modified as per the specific requirements of organisation.
- The water channel frame and nozzle design have been optimized to ensure water efficiency and reduce water wastage.
Dry Fogging Shoe Disinfector:
- CSIR-CMERI, Durgapur, has also developed the Dry Fogging Shoe Disinfector (DFSD) used for fogging water based disinfectants on the shoe sole.
- The fogger atomises the disinfecting fluid into very fine particles of 0.1 micron or lesser sized disinfectants to ensure that the particles surround the pathogens stuck on shoe sole enabling higher contact time of the disinfectant with the micro-organisms present.
- The smaller size of the particles also guarantees minimum wetting of the surfaces. DFSD is useful for shoe soles, electronic equipment, cabin of vehicles & clean rooms.
- The dry fogging system generates micro-droplets with particle size 0.1 micron or less.
- The system can be operated both with grid supply (AC mode) and battery bank power supply (DC mode). When the system operates in DC mode, the unit is mobile and can run for 3-4 hours.
- The size and number density of micro-droplets can be controlled through adjustment of the depth of water level in the disinfector tank resulting in a greater area of coverage of the droplets.
- Filter to prevent the entry of any foreign solid particles in the disinfector tank thereby enhancing the life of the atomizing plate.
- Unique on-off feature to protect the atomizing plate from a dry run in case the level of disinfection fluid in the reservoir falls below a pre-set value.
CGCRI Develops Programmable UV-C Sterilization Unit
- CSIR-CGCRI (Central Glass & Ceramic Research Institute), Kolkata, has developed a Programmable UV-C Sterilization Unit (disinfecting time ~1-2 minutes) that can disinfect mobile phones, laptop, office files, papers, letters & parcels, cash, cheques, tools, etc.
- The unit is designed with safety interlock features, like safety switches, LED indicators, buzzer, etc., to protect users from UV-C radiation. When exposing microorganisms to UVC light, the light penetrates through their cell wall and causes thymine bases in their DNA to bond.
Sanitizer Based on CSIR-CDRI Technology Launched in Market
- Germivid, a herbal hand sanitizer, the technology which was developed by the CSIR-National Botanical Research Institute (CSIR-NBRI), Lucknow, has been finally launched in the market. The technology for the sanitizer was transferred to M/s. Fervid Healthcare Pvt. Ltd. The product will be available in the market in 1 Litre, 500 ml, 200 ml and 100 ml bottles and priced as per the GOI rules.
Courtesy: Science Reporter