(GIST OF YOJANA) Rural Development
- Science & technology has played a critical role in the development of the nation. For the rural populace, in particular, it has been far more impactful. Bringing in automation in village-based small-scale industry has a direct effect on the growth of the rural economy. Enhanced & advanced farming practices through advances made by science & technology have yielded higher growth per hectare.
- Bringing in better healthcare facilities to the rural areas has reduced the mortality rate, and healthier lifestyles can thus be seen emerging in the country.
- The creation of new job opportunities and new business avenues within the rural domain has been the hallmark of science & technology’s positive intervention in rural development.
- Generating a more logical mindset through effective science & technology communication by using electronic & digital media-meaning generating scientific temper amongst the rural folk has tremendously helped the people living in villages. Bringing new yet technologically advanced communication systems into vogue has also changed the way education was imparted in the rural Indian world so far. Summarily, the availability of updated content required by the rural folk timely has been one of the many advantages that science & technology has provided to rural India. The list is indeed longer than we can think of.
- The advent of science & technology in the rural sector, particularly in agriculture, has seen enormous change and thus, scientific awareness among the fanners. Whether it is soil science, entomology, agronomy, economics, animal husbandry, or pathology, name any branch of agricultural sciences, research & development news from the labs reaches the fanners quite quickly. Water, soil, and seeds are the key driving forces for agricultural development.
- Adaptive technology agriculture, for example focuses on demand-side water management. Such initiatives identify more efficient technology and practices that save more water in agriculture. In fact, this is just one and the repositories of much richer and result-oriented practices are numerous.
- Internet was made available to us through the telecom revolution of mid-nineties and our country managed to ride the telecom bandwagon in time.
- Thus, we feel proud that today, every nook and corner of the nation is widely connected with mobile telephony. All of this spearheaded the mission to get every citizen duly connected with the information expressway.
- So, whatever new that happens across any part of the world or within the nation with regards to any new farming practice, seed or variety, trends in the market, availability of food processing units, and much more-it’s now available with the fanner instantaneously.
Significance of weather forecasting:
- Accurate weather forecasting has played a significant role in improving lives of our rural populace. Gone are the days, when natural disasters used to leave behind a trail of mass destruction especially in the rural areas.
- With advance & accurate forecasting, our meteorological department has come of age. Advanced information helps Ministry of Rural Development to work in close association with various S&T ministries to evolve strategies to mitigate risks emanating from these natural disasters. Deficit- or excess-rainfall, tsunami or drought, these scientific advancements have helped our national disaster management agencies to swing into action in time and evade any major catastrophe to happen. If not fully, a majority of the risk, in any case, gets averted.
- Rural development is not confined to farming and agricultural produce only. People living in villages or small towns have requirements, issues, and solutions quite similar to those living in cities. Issues of health, hygiene, and community health-related issues are comparable with those in city areas.
- Education and developing scientific temper arc other areas of comparison between the two. In other words, rural development requires the involvement of science & technology in an almost similar fashion. Thus, the role of science & technology in rural development should be treated in a holistic manner.
- Besides, the Government of India’s relentless endeavours to make the citizens in the rural sector duly aware of its efforts, a number of scientists and technocrats have come forward to help the rural sector. They have thus, set up non-government agencies to run various projects.
- These projects have proven to be positive catalysts in improving the lives of the rural resources. In areas near Delhi, Mewat to be particular had a lot of issues related to health, hygiene, education, farming practices, and overall development. Building dams, starting skill-enhancement programs, creating scientific temper through community radio, they have continuously contributed to a number of projects.
- This, clearly demonstrates how effective the role of science & technology in rural communities is in order to create sustainable programs for managing water resources, increasing agricultural productivity, and strengthening rural governance.
<<Go Back To Main Page