UPSC Mains Law Paper Topic : Offences Related to Marriage
- H files a petition for divorce against W. The court allows the divorce petition ex- parte. H marries Z after waiting for the period of appeal and the appeal being not preferred within the time. W, makes an appeal after the stipulated appeal period. The appeal court allows the appeal. Can H be tried for bigamy? Give reasons. (98/II/2a/20)
- A and B are Hindus and are married under the Hindu Marriage Act, 1955. During the subsistence of their marriage A, the husband, embraces Islam and goes through a second marriage ceremony with C, his girl-friend. On the complaint of B, wife of the first marriage, A is prosecuted for the offence of bigamy under Section 494 of the Penal Code. Decide, citing relevant case law. (99/II/1b/20)
- A promises to B, his student, and induced her to cohabit with him. He has given her a false assurance of marriage and also fraudulently gone through certain ceremonies of marriage making B to believe that she was a lawfully wedded wife of A. Later A refused to recognise her as his wife. What is the offence committed by A? Explain its ingredients. (00/II/1c/20)
- Explain whether any offence is committed in the following instance and under what circumstances? Give reasons. Do not write more than 100 words. (02/II/2e/10) X has sexual intercourse with his wife without her consent
- Explain whether any offence is committed in the following instance and under what circumstances? Give reasons. Do not write more than 100 words. (02/II/2a/10) X husband of W, cohabits with Z.
- When an offence of ‘adultery’ is said to be committed? Whether a wife may be punished for the offence of adultery as an abettor? Distinguish between the offences of ‘rape’ and ‘adultery’.