Mains Previous Year Paper Geology (1995)
Paper-I- Geology-1995 (Mains)
1. Explain any three of the following in about 200 words each:
(a) Sea-floor spreading - a preamble to the plate tectonic theory
(b) Delineate the volcanic belts of the earth in the world outline
(c) Karst geomorphic features
(d) Repetition and omission of strata due to structures and other processes.
2. Describe any six common linear formed by deformation. Describe briefly their geometry and mode
3. Describe the landforms of the arid regions.
4. Write brief notes on the following:
(a) Distinguishing characters of a bedding plane from a joint plane
(b) Mohorovicic discontinuity
(c) Ox-bow lakes
(d) Drainage patterns in metamorphic terrains
(e) Coves and bays
5. Answer any three of the following in about 200 words each:
(a) Banded Gneissic Complex and its basement character
(b) Shivalik Fauna
(c) Bagh Beds
(d) Age of Deccan Traps
6. Draw a large neat labeled diagram of a gastropod shell and describe its morphology. Also give its
classification and distribution in time.
7. Write notes on the following:
(a) Dharwar Super Group of rocks
(b) Stratigraphy of the Iron-Ore, Series of Bihar and Orissa
8. Write explanatory notes on:
(a) Methods of preservation of fossils
(b) Criteria by which palaeo-environmental conditions of deposition of sediments can be
(c) Pleistocene glaciations
Paper - II- Geology-1995 (Mains)
1. Write notes on any three of the following in about 200 words each:
(b) Monoclinic Crystal Symmetry
(c) Hardness of minerals
(d) Metamorphic grades
2. What is stereographic projection ? Describe with example, its use to represent crystal symmetry.
3. Describe Plagioclase felspars and their alteration products.
4. Discuss the problem of ‘granites and granites’.
5. Write notes on any three of the following in about 200 words each:
(c) Gravity methods of ore dressing
(d) Water table
6. Give an account of Metallogenetic Epochs.
7. Describe geological considerations in Tunneling.
8. Give a brief account of coal deposits of India.