IAS Mains Previous Years Paper : Psychology (1998)
PAPER - I
1. Answer any three of the following in not more than 200 words each :
(a) Analyse the salient features of a laboratory experimental design.
(b) Is person perceiption a critical variable in human interaction ? Illustrate your answer.
(c) Delineate the principles involved in programmed learning. Is it feasible to programme higher form of learning.
(d) How do convergent and divergent thinking differ ? Nan it be integrated in higher form of creative thinking ?
2. Analyse the relative contributions of heredity and environment in the development of human behaviour. Illustrate your answer from real life situations.
3. Do the principles of perceptual organisation point to their inborn nature ? Cite experimental evidences in this context.
4. Can We sustain the statement that much of our behaviour is the result of classical and operant cnditioning ?
5. Answer any three of the following in not more than 200 words each :
(a) What specific role does social intelligence play in the management of people ?
(b) How do one's values motivate his behaviour ? Illustrate your answer.
(c) Detail the correlates of Rapid Eye Movements (REM) in sleep.
(d) Specify the human problems associated with space flight. Give experimental evidences.
6. Highlight with examples the strategies of concept formation in children.
7. Do the projective techniques of personality assessment have an edge over psychometric tests ? Cite experimental evidences in this context.
8. Discuss the view that the mechanistic model of man is an oversimplification of the facts of behaviour. Examine the concept of integrated model with a view to
present a balanced picture.
PAPER - II
1. Answer any three of the following (each answer should not exceed 200 words) :
(a) Highlight the basic principles of psychodynamic approach in handling behaviour disorders.
(b) Show your acquaintance with the components of leadership training.
(c) Discuss the uses of psychological testing in selection.
(d) Discuss the types of psychosomatic diseases.
2. Discuss the salient features of client-centered therapy.
3. What do you understand by work motivation ? Discuss the Maslow's theory of need hierarchy. How can Maslow's theory be applied in industrial situations ?
4. Discuss the types of group at work situations. How can group work be measured ?
5. Answer any three of the following (each answer should not exceed 200 words) :
(a) Distinguish between juvenile delinquency and crime.
(b) Discuss the problems of educating the disadvantaged groups.
(c) What are the nature and manifestations of social prejudices ?
(d) What is achievement motivation ? What are the characteristics of an Indian with high achievement motivation ?
6. What is organizational communication ? Discuss the various factors of effective communication in industries.
7. What is stress ? Discuss certain methods of stress management.
8. Discuss the social, cultural and economic consequences of the disadvantaged. How can Psychology help them ?