IAS Mains Previous Years Paper : Psychology (2008)
PAPER - I
1. Write Short Notes on any Three of the following (Each one should not exceed 200 words ) : -
(20 × 3 = 60)
(a) “Poverty and level of economic achievement as a social problem can only be explained from
the psychological perspective” Comment with relevant research studies.
(b) Bring out the differences in the concepts of growth, maturation and development in human
behaviour. Use suitable example in your answers.
(c) “The level at which an information is processed has a bearing on recall of that particular
information.” Discuss in the light of experimental studies.
(d) “Grounded theory takes a case rather than variable perspective”. Elaborate this statement.
2. Explain Bandura’s theory using a suitable social learning task. Extend research support to your
3. Can Item Response theory be called a latent trade theory? Describe the mathematical functions that
are used in this theory and explain the various models related to the theory. (60)
4. Using the procedure of programmed learning, how would you conduct ‘anger-reduction’ training for
a group of individuals who have been assessed high on anger? The training procedure needs to be as
per the instructional design model. (60)
5. Write short notes on any three of the following in about 200 words each: (20 × 3 = 60)
(a) What is the meant by ‘echoic memory’? How long does this memory last? Discuss with
(b) Describe the PASS model of intelligence and show the grounds on which it has challenged
the ‘g’ theory.
(c) Describe pattern of attribution that are used by persons in supporting their interaction.
(d) “Artificial Intelligence and cognitive psychology have a symbolic relationship”. Elaborate
6. Give a comparative account of ‘Self ‘as conceived by Adler and Rogers. (60)
7. Describe the phase of language acquisition and show how critical period hypothesis explains the
process of language acquisition. (60)
8. “Representational knowledge can be investigating neurocognitively through the studies of amnesia”
Elaborate this statement. (60)
PAPER - II
1. Write Short Notes on any Three of the following ( Each one should not exceed 200 words ) : -
(20 × 3 = 60)
(a) Enumerate the methods of assessing validity of a personality inventory and highlight their
(b) Distinguish ‘alcoholism’ from ‘social drinking’ and discuss the factors contributing to
(c) Critically evaluate the research finding relating to the influence of media on aggression and
(d) Discuss the salient features of behaviour therapy. Comment on its applicability to the Indian
2. Describe the various techniques used in improving memory. Discuss their merits and demerits for
teaching students in undergraduate courses. (60)
3. Explain the nature and advantages of client centered therapy. Critically evaluate its utility in treating
various psychological problems. (60)
4. Discuss the psychological and cognitive problems of AIDS patients. Explain the facilities essential
for their rehabilitation. (60)
5. Write Short Notes on any Three of the following (Each one should not exceed 200 words): -
(20 × 3 = 60)
(a) Describe various psychological factors contributing to violence. Suggest strategies to be used
for rehabilitation of the victims.
(b) Discuss the psychological effects of noise pollution. Support your answer with recent
(c) Discuss various rights of consumers. Critically evaluate the effect of consumer awareness on
(d) How can media contribute to prosocial behaviour by applying principle of psychology.
6. Discuss the role of information technology in the process of formal education. Critically evaluate its
effectiveness for motivating a learner. (60)
7. Discuss and critically evaluate the contribution of military psychology in
8. Discuss the contribution of David McCleland in the field of motivation. Discuss the salient feature of
conducive environment for enhancement of achievement motivation. (60)