IFS - Indian Forest Service Animal Husbandry and Veterinary Sciences
Previous Year Paper (2000)
PAPER-I : SECTION
1. Write short notes. on any four of the following in not more than 150
(a) Explain Super-ovulation.
(b) Draw structure of a mammary gland of cow.
(c) Differentiate between saturated and unsaturated fat.
(d) Role of B vitamins in metabolism of energy and protein.
(e) Milk ‘let-down’ and ‘holding-up’ in cows.
2. Describe various selection methods. Give their merits and demerits. Mention
methods of estimation of coefficients of inbreeding.
3. Mention five fodder crop rotations to ensure regular fodder supply round the
year. Give land requirement for green fodder cultivation for 100 lactating
buffaloes along with their followers.
4. What is passive immunity? Write the significance of colostrum feeding to
newly born buffalo calves. Mention the absorption time of various
immunoglobulins from gastric mucosa.
5. Write short notes on any four of the following in not more than 150
(i) Describe in brief the milk fever problem in dairy cows.
(ii) Effects of high temperature on milk production.
(iii) Define Homeostatis.
(iv) Grading up.
(v) Feeding animals during drought.
6. Mention the significance of preservation and conservation of fodder in
India. Discuss problems of Indian grazing land/pastures and steps for their
7. Timely breeding of farm animals is an essential requirement for optimum
life time production, in the context of this requirement, give symptoms of heat
and duration of oestrus in cattle, buffalo, goat and sheep. Write a note on most
suitable time for breeding/ insemination in these species. Briefly discuss the
management practices to improve breeding efficiency of farm animals in general.
8. Describe the digestion, absorption and metabolism of dietary protein
and NPN in ruminants.
PAPER-II : SECTION
1. Write short notes on any four of the following in about 150 words
(a) Hormonal control of Oestrus
(b) Pre-anaesthetic medication
(c) Haemoprotozoan diseases of cattle
(d) Ante mortem inspection
(e) Paranasal sinus.
2. Discuss the effect of environmental pollution on the health and production
3. Name five viral diseases of poultry. Discuss in detail the etiology,
pathogenesis, diagnosis, differential diagnosis, treatment and control of any
one of these.
4. Describe the different immunological and serological tests used in diagnosis
of animal diseases.
5. Write short notes on any four of the in about 150 words each:
(b) Zoonoses as public health problem
(c) Antiseptics and disinfectants
(d) Cardiac cycle
(e) Laminitis in horse
6. Name the different digestive disorders of rumen. Discuss the etiology,
pathogenesis, symptoms, diagnosis and treatment of impaction following.
7. Discuss the general measures to be taken to deal with the outbreak of
contagious disease in an organised dairy farm.
8. Discuss the processing, packaging, storing, marketing defects and their
control and nutritive properties of reconstituted and flavoured milk.