Paper: CSE Mains General Studies Paper Year 2006
1. Answer any one of the following ( in about 250 words)
a) Regardless of distance in time, there were lot of similarities between
Lord Curzon and Jawaharlal Nehru. Discuss
b) How did the Government of India Act, 1935 mark a point of no return in the
history of constitutional development in India?
2. Answer any two of the following ( in about 150 words each)
a) What was the attitude of Indian Industrialists towards the Indian
national Congress in the pre-independence era?
b) Critically assess Sir Tej Bahadur Sapru’s views on Indian Nationalism.
c) Characterise the main features of Indian Renaissance.
3. Write about the following: (not exceeding 20 words each)
f) Madhura Vijayam
g) Panduranga Mahatmya
h) Prithviraj Raso
i) ‘The Insider’
j) Ali Sardar Jafri
k) Aruna Roy
l) Dr C J Danial
m) Balwant Gargi
n) Dr Jayant Narlikar
o) Shashi Tharoor
4. Answer any two of the following: (in about 125 words each)
a) Bring out the prospect of development of alternate energy sources of
b)Blue revolution has defenite advantages in India but is not free from
environmental aspects. Discuss.
c) Why do the rivers of west coast not form a delta?
5. Write notes on the following (in about 20 words each)
a) Mixed economy
b) Winter rains in India
c) New Moore island
d) National water grid
e) Hussain Sagar
6. Answer any one of the following questions (in about 250 words)
a) What is the right to life and personal liberty? How have the courts
expanded its meaning in recent years?
b) On what grounds can a member be disqualified from either house of parliament?
7. Answer any one of the following questions (in about 250 words)
a) What is the ’strategic partnership’ between India and USA? What are its
implications for both the partners?
b) Discuss economic backwardness as a major challenge of Indian democracy. Can
democracy and development go together smoothly?
8. Answer any two of the following questions (in about 150 words each).
a) How would you differentiate between the passage of a Constitution
Amendment bill and of an Ordinary Legislative Bill?
b) How does the Inter-state council establish co-ordination between states?
c) Is the High Courts’ power to issue ‘writs’ wider than that of the Supreme
Court of India?
9. Answer the following questions (in about 20 words each)
a) Explain the following terms:
i) Dissolution of the house
ii) Prorogation of the house
iii) Adjournment of the business of the house
b) What is Consolidated fund of India?
c) To what extent can the President withhold his assent to a bill already passed
by the Parliament?
d) What is India’s ‘Look East’ Policy?
e) What is meant by empowerment of Women in India?