Union Public Service Commission
IAS Main Public
Administration Optional Paper - I
1. Comment on any Three of the following questions in not more than 200 words
each: 20 × 3 = 60 Marks
(a) A theory of public administration means in our time a theory of politics
(b) “Public and Private Administrations are two species of the same genus, but
they also have special values and techniques of their own.”Comment.
(c) Politics-Administration dichotomy may be acceptable in theory but may not be
acceptable in practice. Comment with reference to Wilson’s view.
(d) Scientific Management theory has no space for human aspects. Comment.
2. Describe the evolution of the discipline of public administration with
special emphasis on post-1970 developments. What are the possible trends in its
growth in the first decade of 21st Century? 60 Marks
3. “The themes developed at MINNOWBROOK conferences I, II & III largely focus
on the current and future visions in the field of public
administration.” Elucidate. 60 Marks
4. Bring out the core values, approaches and
assumptions of traditional public administration,
New Public Management and digital era of
governance and how new has attempted to
change or retain old, and to what extent.
5. Comment on any Three of the following
questions in not more than 200 words each:
20 × 3 = 60 Marks
(a) “In the science of administration, whether
public or private, the basic ‘good’ is efficiency.”
(b) “Calling Woodrow Wilson, the father of Public
Administration is doing injustice to equally
or even more eminent contributions made
prior to him.” Comment.
(c) “Once fully established, bureaucracy is among
those social structures which are the hardest
to destroy.” Comment.
(d) The Classical Science of Administration with
special reference to its criticism by Dwight
Waldo and Robert Dahl. Comment
6. Discuss the Classical theory of Administration
with special reference to Fayol,Gullick & Urwick.
7. Max Weber tried his level best to ensure social
acceptance of bureaucracy. Do you agree? Discuss.
8. (a) “Once fully established, bureaucracy is among those social
structures which are the hardest to destroy.” Discuss. 30 Marks
(b) “The failure of classical theory of administration lies in its capacity
to confront theory with evidence.” Discuss. 30 Marks