Mains Paper: 3 | Science & Technology
Prelims level: Gyroscope
Mains level: Road conditions in India
- It has photographed light from shortly after the Big Bang (on an astronomical timescale) when the oldest known galaxy, GN-z11 in Ursa Major, was forming.
- Its observations support the theory that “dark energy”, undetected by instruments, pervades the universe.
- And its depth of field is extraordinary, ranging from the asteroids to the most distant stars.
- Downtime on such a useful instrument will set back our developing understanding of the universe.
- As it goes into sleep mode, Hubble is living proof that the world’s space efforts need “trucks” shuttling between the earth and orbit.
- Since the US shuttle programme was discontinued in 2011, NASA has had no way to repair or refurbish the Hubble telescope.
- Perhaps the next generation of space trucks will be delivered by private enterprise rather than governments.
- Until then, it appears, Hubble will have to stay in sleep mode.
- A gyroscope is a device designed to have a spinning disc or wheel mounted on a base such that its axis can turn freely in one or more directions in order to maintain its orientation regardless of any movement of the base.
- The orientation changes in response to an external torque and in a different direction.
- The gyroscope has evolved from technology such as mechanical-inertial spinning devices including gimbals, axles, rotors and other electronic and optical devices.
- Each component exploits some physical property of the system enabling it to detect rotational velocity about some axis.
UPSC Prelims Questions:
Q.1) Consider the following statements in reference to AURA, recently seen in news:
1. It is an Earth Observation Satellite of European Space Agency.
2. It aims to understand how atmospheric composition affects and responds to Earth's changing climate.
Which of the statements given above is/are correct?
(a) 1 only
(b) 2 only
(c) Both 1 and 2
(d) Neither 1 nor 2
UPSC Mains Questions:
Q.1) What is Gyroscope? What are its importance in space technology?
For Study Materials Call Us at +91 8800734161 (MON-SAT 11AM-7PM)