No, chief minister
Mains Paper: 2 | Governance From UPSC perspective, the following things are important:
Prelims level: National Register of Citizens
Mains level: Insensitively implemented in Assam, extension of NRC to other states would only magnify a disturbing situation.
- Honorable Chief Minister of Assam Sarbananda Sonowal has called for the National Register of Citizens to be extended to other states.
- There is no logical basis for broadening its scope, since the demographic change and social and political effects of large-scale migration across a porous border are not as keenly felt elsewhere.
What are the effects by implementing this?
- The only effect of CM Sonowal’s appeal, which he made at a seminar in Delhi, might be to turn a regional matter into a national issue for the general elections.
- Moreover, his was not a standalone intervention.
- In the span of 48 hours, this was the third notable statement highlighting the NRC with a view to elections.
- The day before, at the BJP national executive, party president Amit Shah had reportedly praised the work done by the Assam government and the Centre towards implementing the NRC.
- This is the diametric opposite of the soothing noises emanating from the government, promising ample scope for citizens to establish their bona fides.
Lesson from Assam
- The people of Assam have just cause to be sensitive to illegal immigration, and its government has a duty to address their concerns.
- However, the exercise is being conducted in an insensitive manner, and the extension of the NRC to other states.
- The public have not articulated anxieties about immigrants, would amplify a local embarrassment into a national disgrace.
- Giving people the right to prove their citizenship is not as large-hearted as it sounds, since they are presumed guilty until they can make their case.
- Not everyone has the ability or the wherewithal to do that.
- Apart from humanising the appeal process, the BJP must also try to be of one mind on the matter.
- It cannot have the chief minister of Assam giving assurances against summary deportation while office-bearers in Delhi threaten to deport ruthlessly.
- Assam has many other problems besides illegal immigration, which the chief minister may wish to apply himself to, instead of offering the NRC to the rest of India.
- The nation has a surfeit of election issues, which demand the attention of the voters.
- There is really no need to inflict yet another issue on them, especially one that has little meaning outside Assam.
UPSC Prelims Questions:
Q.1) With respect to the Preventive detention, which of the following statements is/are not correct?
1. The Constitution provides protection against arrest under a preventive detention law only to the citizens.
2. Both the Parliament and state legislatures can make a law regarding prevention detention.
Select the correct answer using the code given below.
(a) 1 only
(b) 2 only
(c) Both 1 and 2
(d) Neither 1 nor 2
UPSC Mains Questions:
Q.1) What are the pros and cons if NRC will implement to others states like Assam?
For Study Materials Call Us at +91 8800734161 (MON-SAT 11AM-7PM)