A merrier game (Indian Express)
Mains Paper 2: National
Prelims level: AirBadminton
Mains level: AirBadminton development
- Taking a cue from how the sport grew organically in back lanes and
parks, where more recreational players toss around the shuttle than those
sweating it out in high-ceilinged indoor courts, AirBadminton is racing
towards a 2020 season.
- This development holds the potential for roping in a new
demographic from untouched corners of Africa and America as well as mixed
3-member teams from the traditional hubs, in a fun format never seen before.
From India’s perspective
- For Indians, these are merry tidings.
- Not many childhoods have missed out on the hurriedly assembled net
and the endless summer afternoons and winter evenings spent playing casually
outdoors, with the sole motive of keeping the shuttle in play.
- Badminton is perhaps the most popular recreational sport right
upto the senior citizens category. This isn’t too dissimilar to the 3X3
basketball that Americans indulge in with hoops casually jutting out of
- Or how South America scouts for its footballers Pele and Maradona
were first spotted off the streets. Closer home, Indian outdoor shuttlers
are perhaps closest to how Pakistan channels its tape-ball cricketers and
routinely unearths 150+ pace bowlers catapulted into the national team.
- Next to cricket, badminton has been India’s second largest
participatory sport perhaps more even, given girls are not kept away from
the ‘building compound’ games.
- An organised tournament structure for the outdoor sport might well
mean that a Pullela Gopichand or Prakash Padukone with their highly trained
eye get invited as chief guests to many such breezy AirBadminton outdoor
- It can scout the thousands who for many reasons, financial mostly,
never knocked on the doors of the state of the art academies.
Q.1) With reference to the Rajya Sabha, consider the following statements:
(1) All the States and Union Territories have representation in it.
(2) It is a directly elected body like the Lok Sabha.
(3) The term of Rajya Sabha is six years.
Which of the statements given above is/are incorrect?
(a) 2 only
(b) 2 and 3 only
(c) 1 and 2 only
(d) 1, 2 and 3
Q.1) Air Badminton could rope in a new demographic, let some fresh air
and fun into the court. Comment.