Mains Paper: 3 | Internal Security
Prelims level: Rafale deal
Mains level: Preventing defence scandals require a transparent national security discourse which India is not prepared.
- Prices are not falling but the farmer is getting a rough deal.
- Industrial output and GDP growth is not picking up.
- The economy will pick up is repeated by the senior-most officials from whom we actually expect answers to real problems.
- The terms of trade were doing badly for agriculture and the farmer was not doing too well.
- Big MSP increases without policy support.
- Mandi prices in bajra, maize, cotton and major oilseeds and pulses were ruling below support prices.
- Ten to 40 per cent deficiencies are common.
- The government hardly ever imposes a high enough tariff because of the needs of the consumer and so the fight goes on.
- Balancing farmer interests and fighting inflation needs the kind of strategic thinking .
- NAFED does some procurement but it is usually short of funds.
- Getting Walmart to buy farmers produce and give them space in its warehouses is far more important as an alternative supply channel.
- Prices are simultaneously rising for the consumer.
- Policymakers took credit for retail inflation falling from 4.85 per cent in July to 3.69 per cent.
- Last year it was 3.28 per cent and there is seasonality in food prices.
- The turnaround for the worse in industrial output is the most
- If policy-making took this as a temporary hiccup and got back to the drawing board on giving industrial output the stimulus it needs.
UPSC Prelims Questions:
Q.1) Consider the following pairs:
Defence equipment Imported from
1. Rafale Fighter Jet : France
2. Sukhoi Fighter Jet : Russia
3. Phalcon Airborne Early Warning and Control Systems (AWACS) : Israel
Which of the pairs given above is/are correct?
(a) 1 only
(b) 1 and 2 only
(c) 2 and 3 only
(d) 1, 2 and 3
Correct Answer: D
UPSC Mains Questions:
Q.1) Is Rafael recognizes as a scam or just a tussle war between the political parties. Critically analyse.