(Exam Paper) UPSC IAS Mains 2002: Sociology
1. Write short notes on any three of the following (each answer should not
exceed 200 words):
(a) Sociology as a Science
(b) Theory and Fact
(c) Social mobility and social change
(d) Social movement and social change
2. Examine the nature of social facts as understood by Durkheim.
3. Critically examine Weber’s theory of Protestant Ethic and the Spirit of
4. Distinguish between Sex and Gender. Discuss the gender issues with
5. Write short notes on any three of the following (each answer should not
exceed 200 words):
(a) Industrialisation and social change
(b) Community power
(c) The sacred and the profane
(d) Ethos of science
6. What are the uses of Bogardus’ social distance scale and of Likert scale?
7. In what way is the process of socialisation helpful in the development of
personality? Explain with suitable examples.\
8. Explain Melvin Tumin’s critique related to the theory of social
1. Write short notes on any three of the following in not more than 200 words
(a) Emergence of Dalit Consciousness
(b) Integration of Tribes in Hindu Culture
(c) Characteristics of Neo-Rich agrarian class
(d) Reservation and Panchayat Raj institutions
2. Discuss the metaphysical and ethical basis of Hindu social organisation.
3. Discuss the Louis Dumont’s concept of purity and pollution. How far these
concepts are relevant in explaining the Hindu Caste system?
4. Examine the ways in which Indian society can be strengthened as
multi-cultural society. Is the dominance of single culture is a hinderance to
multiculturalism in India?
5. Write short notes on any three of the following in not more than 200 words
(a) Inequality among Brahmins
(b) Problems of Hindu minority in Kashmir
(c) Nature of atrocities on married women
(d) Problems of child labour in India
6. Is Secularism a weak Ideology? Critically analyse the reasons for
anti-secular trends in India.
7. Examine the impact of mass media on Indian society. Whether western
consumerism and materialistic culture, creeping in through mass media, are
adversely affecting the traditional Indian culture?
8. Analyse the ideological and strategical features of Naxalbari movement.