(Exam Paper) UPSC IAS Mains 2011: Sociology
1. Write short notes on the following, keeping sociological perspective in view (Each short note in about 150 words): 12x5=60
(a) Emergence of Sociology is an outcome of modernity and social change in Europe
(b) Fact and Value
(c) Reliability and Validity
(d) The Protestant Ethic and the Spirit of Capitalism
(e) The problem of gender
2. (a) What can Sociology show us about our actions? Discuss the practical significance of Sociology. 30
(b) What is Class? Do you think that Weber's contribution to social stratification is different from that of Marx? 30
3. (a) What is subjective method in social research ? Examine Focus group Discussion (FGD) as a technique for data collection, with suitable examples. 30
(b) Define Ideal Type and explain Weber's concept of „Verstehen' for understanding social phenomena. 30
4. (a) Give conceptual meaning of social system. What is cognitive consonance between „pattern' variables' and „paradigm'? 30
(b) What do you mean by social mobility? Discuss the major sources and causes of mobility. 30
5. Write short notes on the following from a sociological perspective (Earth short note in about 150 words): 12x5=60
(a) Self-Help Group (SHG) as an informal organization of work
(b) Power Elite
(c) Cultural Pluralism
(d) Lineage and Descent
(e) Development and Dependency
6. (a) What is formal organization? “The growth of bureaucracy has resulted in extreme concentration of power at larger levels of social organization.” Discuss. 20
(b) Highlight prerequisites of social movement bring out the differences between social movement and revolution. 20
(c) “Collective action in politics can bring integration and disintegration in society.” Comment. 20
7. (a) Define sect, cult and religion. In what way do Weber's views on religion differ from those of Durkheim? 20
(b) What you mean by marriage and family? Discuss the structural and functional changes in family in modern society. 20
(c) Explain the concepts of Participatory Democracy What conditions are assumed to be conducive to participation? 20
8. (a) “ Social support mechanism needs to be strengthened for effective implementation of development programmes.” 20
(b) Discuss World System Theory in the context of modern society. 20 (c) “Science and Technology are major forces accelerating the process of social change.” Comment. 20
1. Write short notes with a sociological perspective on the following in not more than 150 words each: 4x15 =60
(a) Perspectives' on the study of caste by M.N. Srinivas and Andre Beteille.
(b) Distinction between the concepts of family and household.
(c) Unity and diversity among the tribes in India.
(d) The book-view and the field-view in Indian sociology.
2. (a) Bring out the relationship between fertility and social structure as viewed by Davis and Blake. 30
(b) “Protective discrimination not only protects but also discriminates.” Comment. 30
3. (a) Distinguish between „secularism' and „secularisation'. Analyse the nature and extent of secularization in contemporary India. 30
(b) Analyze the term „dalit' and the evolution of the related concept as a reflection of the changing consciousness and self-assertion of the dalit community. 30
4. (a) How are the issues of ethnicity are the issues of ethnicity and nationalism related? Discuss in the context of the emergence of ethno nationalism in India. 30
(b) What are the linkage points between globalization and the growth of the informal sector? How have these affected the nature and functioning of the working class? 30
5. Write short notes on the following in not more than 150 words each. Your answer should have a sociological perspective. 4x15=60
(a) Stage of the Women's movement in India.
(b) Impact of Green Revolution on rural class structure.
(c) Infant Mortality Rate is the most sensitive index for measuring development. Comment.
(d) Structural factors behind violence against women.
6. (a) Critically examine D.N. Dhanagare's views on agrarian movements in India. 20
(b) Explain the interface between population, ecology and environment in the context of India. 20
(c) „Casteism is the modern edition of the caste system.' Do you agree with this statement / Discuss with arguments. 20
7. (a) Comment on the factors responsible for the growth and consolidation of middle level peasantry in rural India. How is it related to capitalism in Indian agriculture? 30
8. (a) Rapid urbanization and sustainable development do not go together. Discuss with arguments. 20
(b) Analyze the changing nexus between caste and tribe. 20
(c) Bring out the relationship between social class and mortality. 20