Sources of IAS-GS Mains Paper III: Question Analysis 2014
UPSC General Studies mains exam new pattern since year 2014 has turned into a
deep sense of unpredictability which is shown in ever decreasing marks in mains
But if read this in-depth analysis of GS- Mains paper I which is result of
our untiring efforts definitely it will actualize and enhance your preparation
standards and ensure confidence building.
UPSC is now concentrating more on concepts related to, day to day
developments and of contemporary relevance.
PERCENTAGE-WISE DISTRIBUTION OF CONTEMPORARY ISSUES : IAS MAINS General
Studies , 2014
General Studies (Paper-I)
General Studies (Paper-II)
General Studies (Paper-III)
Conventional + Analytical
Contemporary Issue based
Total No. of Questions = 25
Total No. of Questions = 20
Total No. of Questions = 20
NOTE : Questions of General Studies Mains (Paper-IV)
2014 were based upon conventional knowledge of various aspects of ethics and
morality and ethical decision making and its relevance in contemporary times.
Answer all the questions in NOT MORE than 200 words each. Content of the
answer is more important than its length. All questions carry equal marks:
1. Normally countries shift from agriculture to industry and then later to
services, but India shifted directly from agriculture to services. What are the
reasons for the huge growth of services vis-a-vis industry in the country? Can
India become a developed country without a strong industrial base?
2. "While we flaunt India's demographic dividend, we ignore the dropping
rates of employability." What are we missing while doing so? Where will the jobs
that India desperately needs come from? Explain.
3. There is also a point of view that Agricultural Produce Market Committees
(APMCs) set up under the State Acts have not only impeded the development of
agriculture but also have been the cause of food inflation in India. Critically
4. "In the villages itself no form of credit organization will be suitable
except the cooperative society." —All India Rural Credit Survey.
Discuss this statement in the background of agricultural finance in India. What
constraints and challenges do financial institutions supplying agricultural
finance face? How can technology be used to better reach and serve rural
5. The Right to Fair Compensation and Transparency in Land Acquisition,
Rehabilitation and Resettlement Act, 2013 has come into effect from 1st January,
2014. What are the key issues which would get addressed with the Act in place?
What implications would it have on industrialization and agriculture in India?
6. Capitalism has guided the world economy to unprecedented prosperity. However,
it often encourages short-sightedness and contributes to wide disparities
between the rich and the poor. In this light, would it be correct to believe and
adopt capitalism for bringing inclusive growth in India? Discuss.
7. Explain how Private Public Partnership arrangements, in long gestation
infrastructure projects, can transfer unsustainable liabilities to the future.
What arrangements need to be put in place to ensure that successive generations'
capacities are not compromised?
8. National Urban Transport Policy emphasises on 'moving people' instead
of 'moving vehicles'. Discuss critically the success of the various strategies
of the Government in this regard.
9. Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) in the defence sector is now set to be
liberalized. What influence this is expected to have on Indian defence and
economy in the short and long run?
10. Scientific research in Indian universities is declining, because a career in
science is not as attractive as are business professions, engineering or
administration, and the universities are becoming consumer-oriented. Critically
11. Can overuse and free availability of antibiotics without Doctor's
prescription, be contributors to the emergence of drug-resistant disease's in
India? What are the available mechanisms for monitoring and control? Critically
discuss the various issues involved.
12. In a globalized world, Intellectual Property Rights assume significance and
are a source of litigation. Broadly distinguish between the terms—Copyrights,
Patents and Trade Secrets.
13. Should the pursuit of carbon credits and clean development mechanisms set up
under UNFCCC be maintained even though there has been a massive slide in the
value of a carbon credit? Discuss with respect to India's energy needs for
14. Drought has been recognized as a disaster in view of its spatial expanse,
temporal duration, slow onset and lasting effects on vulnerable sections. With a
focus on the September 2010 guidelines from the National Disaster Management
Authority (NDMA), discuss the mechanisms for preparedness to deal with likely El
Nino and La Nina fallouts in India.
15. Environmental Impact Assessment studies are increasingly undertaken before a
project is cleared by the Government. Discuss the environmental impacts of
coal-fired thermal plants located at coal pitheads.
16. "The diverse nature of India as a multi-religious and multi-ethnic society
is not immune to the impact of radicalism which is seen in her neighbourhood."
Discuss along with strategies to be adopted to counter this environment.
17. International civil aviation laws provide all countries complete and
exclusive sovereignty over the airspace above their territory. What do you
understand by 'airspace? What are the implications of these laws on the space
above this airspace? Discuss the challenges which this poses and suggest ways to
contain the threat.
18. How does illegal transborder migration pose a threat to India's security?
Discuss the strategies to curb this, bringing out the factors which give impetus
to such migration.
19. In 2012, the longitudinal marking for high-risk areas for piracy was moved
from 65 degrees east to 78 degrees east in the Arabian Sea by the International
Maritime Organization. What impact does this have on India's maritime security
20. China and Pakistan have entered into an agreement for development of an
economic corridor. What threat does this pose for India's security? Critically
Write Your Answer in Comment Box
at Bottom of this Page.