(Current Affairs) Sports | March - 2017
- The Sports Ministry budget got a substantial hike of Rs. 350 crore (Free Available)
- Ashwin quickest to reach 250 wickets (Only for Online Coaching Members)
The Sports Ministry budget got a substantial hike of Rs. 350 crore
- The Sports Ministry budget got a substantial hike of Rs. 350 crore in the Union Budget for 2017-18, presented by Finance Minister Arun Jaitley in the Parliament.
- Jaitley allocated a total of Rs. 1,943 crore, compared to Rs. 1,592 crore earmarked last year.
- The steep increase in the budgetary allocation comes at a time when Indian athletes are preparing for the Commonwealth Games and Asian Games in 2018.
- The Sports Authority of India, entrusted with the task of organising National camps, has been granted a total of Rs. 481 crore, compared to Rs. 416 crore it received last year.
- What is striking is that the allocation for sports promotion among disabled has been reduced to just Rs. one lakh, a heavy reduction from Rs. 4 crore allocated last year.
- The assistance to national sports federations has been increased to Rs. 302 crore from Rs. 185 crore.
- The allocation for the scheme for the Benefit of North Eastern Area has been revised to Rs 148.4 crore this year as compared to Rs 131.33 crore last year.
- No change has been made in the allocation for sports in the Jammu and Kashmir and it stays at Rs 75 crore.