Union Public Service Commission
Combined Defence Services
Examination (II), 2011
Examination Notice No. 09/2011-CDS-II
No. 8/1/2011-E.I(B)- A Combined Defence Services Examination
will be conducted by the Union Public Service Commission on 18th September, 2011
for admission to the undermentioned courses.
1. Candidates To Ensure Their Eligibility For The Examination:
- The candidates applying for the examination should ensure that they
fulfil all eligibility conditions for admission to the Examination.
Their admission at all the stages of the examination will be purely
provisional subject to satisfying the prescribed eligibility conditions.
Mere issue of Admission Certificate to the candidate will not imply that
his/her candidature has been finally cleared by the Commission.
Commission take up verification of eligibility conditions with reference
to original documents only after the candidate has qualified for
2. How to Apply
- a) Candidates are required to apply online only, by using the
website http://www.upsconline.nic.in Detailed instructions for filling
up online applications are available on the abovementioned website.
However candidates residing in certain remote areas specified in Para 6
of this Notice, may also apply through offline mode, by using the Common
Application Form (Form-E) devised for examinations conducted by the
Commission. This Form can be purchased from the designated Head Post
Offices/Post Offices (specified in Appendix-III of the Notice)
throughout the country against cash payment of Rs.30/- (Rupees Thirty
Only). Each such Form can be used only once and only for one
examination. In case of any difficulty in obtaining Application Forms
from the designated HPOs/POs, the candidates should immediately contact
the concerned Post Master or UPSC’s “FORMS SUPPLY MONITORING CELL” over
Telephone No. 011-23389366/FAX No. 011-23387310. It may be noted that
offline applications, if any, received from candidates residing in
normal areas/ abroad, shall be summarily rejected by the Commission. The
option of offline application is available only to candidates residing
in specified remote areas. (b) Candidates are advised to read carefully
the instructions for filling up the Online Application Form given in
Appendix-II (A) and instructions for offline Applications given in
Appendix-II (B) of this Notice.
- (a) Candidates are required to apply Online
using the link http://www.upsconline.
nic.in Detailed instructions for filling up
Online Applications are available on the
above mentioned website.
(b) Candidates residing in certain Remote
Areas specified in Para 6 of this Notice can
exercise the option of applying through
Offline mode also by using the Common
Application Form (Form-E) being used for
3. Last Date of Receipt of Applications:
- (A) Online (From all candidates)
The Online Applications can be filled upto 6th June, 2011 till 11.59 PM
after which the link will be disabled.
(B) Offline (From candidates residing in specified remote areas only).
Applications from candidates residing in Remote Areas only specified in
para 6 of this Notice must reach the “Controller of Examinations, Union
Public Service Commission, Dholpur House, Shahjahan Road, New
Delhi-110069 by Post/Speed Post only by 13th June, 2011. Candidates
should note that no application will be received by Hand or by Courier.
4. Penalty For Wrong Answers :
- Candidates should note that there will be penalty (Negative Marking)
for wrong answers marked by a candidate in the Objective Type Question
5. Facilitation Counter For Guidance Of Candidates :
- In case of any guidance/information/clarification regarding their
applications, candidature etc. candidates can contact UPSC’s
Facilitation Counter near Gate ‘C’ of its campus in person or over
Telephone No.011-23385271/011-23381125/011-23098543 on working days
between 10.00 hrs. and 17.00 hrs.
6. Mobile Phones Banned:
- (a) Mobiles phones, pagers or any other communication devices are
not allowed inside the premises where the examination is being
conducted. Any infringement of these instructions shall entail
disciplinary action including ban from future examinations. (b)
Candidates are advised in their own interest not to bring any of the
banned items including mobile phones/pagers to the venue of the
examination, as arrangements for
safekeeping cannot be assured.
Name of the Course and Approximate No. of Vacancies.
1. Indian Military Academy, 250
2. Indian Naval Academy
3. Air Force Academy, Hyderabad
4. Officers Training Academy
5. Officers Training Academy
- For I.M.A. and Officers’ Training Academy-Degree of a recognised
University or equivalent.
- For Indian Naval Academy : Degree in Engineering.
- For Air Force Academy : Degree of a recognised University (with Physics
and Mathematics at 10+2 level) or Bachelor of Engineering.
- For IMA-Unmarried male candidates born not earlier than 2nd July, 1988
and not later than 1st July, 1993 only are eligible.
- For Indian Naval Academy-Unmarried male candidates born not earlier than
2nd July, 1990 (2nd July, 1988 in case of NCC Naval Wing ‘C’ Certificate
holders) and not later than 1st July, 1993 only are eligible.
- For Air Force Academy-Unmarried male candidates born not earlier than
2nd July, 1989 and not later than 1st July, 1993 only are eligible.
- For Officers' Training Academy- (SSC Course for Men) : Male candidates
(married or unmarried) born not earlier than 2nd July, 1987 and not later
than 1st July, 1993 only are eligible.
- For Officers Training Academy - (SSC Women Non-Technical Course)
Unmarried Women, issueless widows who have not remarried and issueless
divorcees (in possession of divorce documents) who have not remarried are
eligible. They should have been born not earlier than 2nd July, 1987 and not
later than 1st July, 1993.
The scheme, standard and syllabus of the examination:
A. Scheme of Examination
- 1. The Competitive examination comprises:
(a) Written examination as shown in para 2 below.
(b) Interview for intelligence and personality test (vide Part ‘B’ of this
Appendix) of such candidates as may be called for interview at one of the
Services Selection Centres.
- 2. The subjects of the written examination, the time allowed and the
maximum marks allotted to each subject will be as follows:
(a) For Admission to Indian Military Academy, Indian Naval Academy and Air
|2. General Knowledge
|3. Elementary Mathematics
(b) For Admission to Officers’ Training Academy
|2. General Knowledge
The maximum marks allotted to the written examination and to the
interviews will be equal for each course i.e. the maximum marks allotted to
the written examination and to the interviews will be 300, 300, 300 and 200
each for admission to the Indian Military Academy, Indian Naval Academy, Air
Force Academy and Officers’ Training Academy respectively.
- The papers in all the subjects will consist of objective type questions
only. The question papers (Test Booklets) of General Knowledge and
Elementary Mathematics will be set bilingually in Hindi as well as English.
- In the question papers, wherever necessary, questions involving the
metric system of Weights and Measures only will be set.
- Candidates must write the papers in their own hand. In no circumstances
will they be allowed the help of a scribe to write answers for them.
- The Commission have discretion to fix qualifying marks in any or all the
subjects of the examination.
- The candidates are not permitted to use calculator for answering
objective type papers (Test Booklets). They should not therefore, bring the
same inside the Examination Hall.
Examination Centre Codes:
Choose the correct Examination Centre code from the list given below where
you wish to appear in Combined Defence Services Examination(II) 2011 and then
darken the appropriate circles.
List of Centres for Combined Defence Services Examination(II) and their Codes
Last Date For Receipt of Applications: