Union Public Service Commission
SYLLABI FOR THE EXAMINATION
(Answers must be written in Kannada) Section-A
A. History of Kannada Language What is Language? General charecteristics of
Language. Dravidian Family of Languages and its specific features, Antiquity of
Kannada Language, Different Phases of its Development. Dialects of Kannada
Language : Regional and Social Various aspects of development of Kannada
Language : phonological and Semantic changes. Language borrowing.
B. History of Kannada Literature Ancient Kannada literature : Influence and
Trends. Poets for study : Specified poets from Pampa to Ratnakara Varni are to
be studied in the light of contents, form Nagachandra. Medieval Kannada
literature : Influence and Trends. Vachana literature : Basavanna, Akka Mahadevi.
Medieval Poets : Harihara, Ragha-vanka, Kumar-Vyasa. Dasa literature : Purandra
and Kanaka. Sangataya : Ratnakaravarni
C. Modern Kannada literature : Navodaya, Pragatishila, Navya, Dalita and
A. Poetics and literary criticism : Definition and concepts of poetry : Word,
Meaning, Alankara, Reeti, Rasa, Dhwani, Auchitya. Interpretations of Rasa Sutra.
Modern Trends of literary criticism : Formalist, Historical, Marxist, Feminist,
B. Cultural History of Karnataka Contribution of Dynasties to the culture of
Karnataka : Chalukyas of Badami and Vijayanagara rulers, in literary context.
Major religions of Karnataka and their cultural contributions. Arts of Karnataka
: Sculpture, Architecture, Painting, Music, Dance-in the literary context.
Unification of Karnataka and its impact on Kannada literature.
(Answers must be written in Kannada) The paper will require first-hand
reading of the Texts prescribed and will be designed to test the critical
ability of the candidates. Section-A
A. OLD KANNADA LITERATURE
1. Vikramaarjuna Vijaya of Pampa (cantos 12 & 13), (Mysore University Pub.)
2. Vaddaraadhane (Sukumaraswamyia Kathe, Vidyutchorana Kathe)
B. MEDIEVAL KANNADA LITERATURE :
1. Marulasiddappa K.R. Nagaraj (Bangalore University Pub.)
2. Janapriya Kanakasamputa, Ed. D. Javare Gowda (Kannada and Culture
Directorate, Bangalore) Grantha Male, Mysore)
4. Kumaravyasa Bharata : Karna Parva (Mysore University)
5. Bharatesha Vaibhava Sangraha Ed. Ta. Su. Shama Rao (Mysore University)
A. MODERN KANNADA LITERATURE
1. Poetry : Hosagannada Kavite, Ed : Parishattu, Bangalore)
2. Novel : Bet tada Jeeva-Shivarama Karanta Madhavi-Arupama Niranjana
3. Kathegalu, Ed. G.H. Nayak (Sahitya Academy, New Delhi).
4. Drama : Shudra Tapaswi-Kuvempu. Tughlak-Girish Karnad.
5. Vichara Saahitya : Devaru-A.N. Moorty Rao (Pub : D.V.K. Moorty, Mysore.)
B. FOLK LITERATURE :
1. Janapada Swaroopa-Dr. H.M. Nayak. (Ta. Vem. Smaraka Grantha Male, Mysore.)
2. Janapada Geetaanjali-Ed.D. Javare Gowda. (Pub : Sahitya Academy, New Delhi.)
3. Kannada Janapada Kathegalu-Ed. J.S. Paramashivaiah, (Mysore University.)
4. Kalegowda Nagavara (Pub : Bangalore University.)