(The Gist of PIB) Government approves advisory for management of Human-Wildlife Conflict
(THE GIST OF PIB) Government approves advisory for management of Human-Wildlife Conflict
Government approves advisory for management of Human-Wildlife Conflict
- Advisory, by Standing Committee of National Board of Wildlife (NBWL), prescribes States/ UTs for dealing with Human-Wildlife Conflict (HWC) situations and seeks expedited inter-departmental coordinated and effective actions.
- NBWL is a statutory body constituted under Wildlife (Protection) Act, 1972 (WLPA) for promotion of conservation and development of wildlife and forests.
- Empowering gram panchayats in dealing with the problematic wild animals as per WLPA.
- Utilising Pradhan Mantri Fasal Bima Yojna for crop compensation against crop damage due to HWC.
- Augmenting fodder and water sources within the forest areas.
- Adoption of early warning systems, creation of barriers, dedicated circle wise Control Rooms with toll free hotline numbers, Identification of hotspots and formulation and implementation of special plans for improved stall-fed farm animals etc.
- HWC occurs when animals pose a direct and recurring threat to the livelihood or safety of people, leading to the persecution of that species.
Reasons for HWC include:
- Loss of wildlife habitat,
- Overgrazing by livestock,
- Agriculture expansion etc.