(The Gist of PIB) Govt prepares draft of Electricity (Rights of Consumers) Rules, 2020
(THE GIST OF PIB) Govt prepares draft of Electricity (Rights of Consumers) Rules, 2020
Govt prepares draft of Electricity (Rights of Consumers) Rules, 2020
- Power Ministry has drafted rules providing for Rights of Electricity Consumers for the First Time. Electricity Consumers are the most important stakeholders in the power sector.
- Rules are aimed to identify the key services, prescribe minimum service levels and standards with respect to these services and recognize them as rights of consumers.
- While the Electricity Act 2003 has a consumer charter, the latest draft empowers consumers and has introduced new supply rights for them.
- New connections to have Prepaid/Smart Prepaid meters: To resolve issues of delayed billing and incorrect metering.
- Reliability of service: Recognizing 24x7 power supply to the consumers as their right. However lower hours of supply may be specified for some categories of consumers like agriculture.
- Compensation to consumers: A consumer can claim compensation for no supply, interrupted electricity supply and time taken for resolving electricity supply issues by DISCOMs.
- Online bill payment: Bills of Rs. 1000 or more to be paid online and consumers should be compensated for paying digitally through a rebate.
- Electricity Prosumer: Prosumer is a phenomenon wherein an electricity consumer also becomes a supplier. According to the draft, anyone can set up a renewable system and energy generated and sold would be adjusted against the supply made by DISCOMs.