(The Gist of PIB) Launch of 2nd project 17A ship Himgiri
(THE GIST OF PIB) Launch of 2nd project 17A ship Himgiri
Launch of 2nd project 17A ship Himgiri
- ‘Himgiri’, the first of the three Project 17A ships being built at M/s Garden Reach Shipbuilders and Engineers Limited (GRSE), Kolkata was launched on 14 December 2020.
- The ship has taken its name and crest of the second Frigate of the Leander Class of ships, which incidentally was launched 50 years ago in 1970.
- Under the Project 17A program, a total of seven ships, four at Mazagon Dock Shipbuilders Limited (MDL) and three ships at GRSE are being built with enhanced stealth features, advanced indigenous weapon and sensor fit along with several other improvements.
- P17A ships are the first gas turbine propulsion and largest combat platforms ever built at GRSE.
- P17A ships have been indigenously designed by Directorate of Naval Design (Surface Ship Design Group) – DND(SSG), and are being built at indigenous yards namely MDL and GRSE.