Edit your toolbar now!
(THE GIST OF PIB) Management Effectiveness Evaluation
Management Effectiveness Evaluation
- Management Effectiveness Evaluation is assessment of how well National Park and Wildlife Sanctuaries are being managed— primarily, whether they are protecting their values and achieving the goals and objectives agreed upon.
- Assessment process of India’s NP&WLS was adopted from IUCN World Commission on Protected Areas (WCPA) framework of MEE.
Management Effectiveness Evaluation can:
- Enable and support an adaptive approach to management.
- Assist in effective resource allocation.
- Promote accountability and transparency.
- Help involve the community and build constituencies.
- Promote the values of National Park and Wildlife Sanctuaries.
- MEE is increasingly being used by governments and international bodies to understand the strengths and weaknesses of the PA management systems.
Highlights of the report:
- The overall mean MEE score is 62.01% which is higher than the global mean of 56%.
- Rating-wise, 13% PAs are in ‘very good’ category, 52% PAs are in ‘good’ category, 29% PAs in ‘fair’ category and only 6% PAs have been rated in ‘poor’ category.
- Tirthan Wildlife Sanctuary and Great Himalayan National Park, Himachal Pradesh rated with the highest MEE score.
- Turtle WLS, UP and Khapar was WLS, Haryana ranked at the bottom.