(The Gist of PIB) National Handloom Day
(THE GIST OF PIB) National Handloom Day
National Handloom Day
- Union Minister of Textiles has said that steps needs to be taken to increase the production capacities of handloom sector from existing 60,000 crore rupees to over one lakh 25,000 crore rupees within three years.
- The minister announced that a committee will be constituted consisting of all weavers, trainers equipment makers, marketing experts and other stake holders to recommend ways and means to achieve the objective and improve all round progress of handloom sector.
- It is a sector that directly addresses women’s empowerment with over 70% of all weavers and allied workers being female.
- An e-commerce portal is being developed in coordination with Digital India Corporation (under MEITY) for handloom weavers and handicraft artisans. This will enable our weavers and artisans to sell directly to consumers.
- On the clarion call of the Prime Minister, National level – “My Handloom My Pride Expo” is being organized at Dilli Haat, INA, New Delhi from 1st August to 15th August 2021 by National Handloom Development Corporation (NHDC) to celebrate the 7th National Handloom Day.