(The Gist of PIB) SHGs across the country being geared up to prepare the Village Poverty Reduction Plan
SHGs across the country being geared up to prepare the Village Poverty Reduction Plan
Since 2018-19, Self Help Groups (SHGs) under Deendayal Antyodaya Yojana-National Rural Livelihoods Mission (DAY-NRLM) are mandated to participate in annual GPDP planning process and to prepare VPRP.
- It allows poor families, who are members of SHGs formed under DAY-NRLM, to raise their demands in a participatory method and submit the final plan to the Gram Panchayats for consideration.
- DAY-NRLM aims to reduce rural poverty, by mobilizing 10-12 crore rural households into SHGs.
- Gram Panchayats are constitutionally mandated for preparation of GPDP for economic development and social justice utilizing resources available with them.
- VPRP is prepared by SHGs and their federations which need to be integrated with GPDP.
Objectives of VPRP:
- Prepare a comprehensive and an inclusive demand plan of the community for local development.
- Facilitate an interface between the SHG federation and Panchayati Raj institutions for development of demand plan.
- Strengthen the community-based organisations and their leadership for active participation in poverty reduction activities.
Components of VPRP:
- Demands under VPRP are categorized into five major components:
- Social inclusion - plan for inclusion of vulnerable people/household into SHGs under NRLM
- Entitlement - demand for various schemes such as MGNREGS, SBM, NSAP, PMAY, Ujjwala, Ration card etc.
- Livelihoods - specific demand for enhancing livelihood through developing agriculture, animal husbandry, production and service enterprises and skilled training for placement etc.
- Public Goods and Services - demand for necessary basic infrastructure, for renovation of the existing infrastructure and for better service delivery
- Resource Development - demand for protection and development of natural resources like land, water, forest and other locally available resources
- Social Development - plans prepared for addressing specific social development issues of a village under the low cost no cost component of GPDP