(THE GIST OF PIB) Udhampur-Srinagar-Baramulla Rail link Project
Udhampur-Srinagar-Baramulla Rail link Project
- Minister for Railways reviewed the progress of Udhampur-Srinagar-Baramulla Rail link Project (USBRL).
- Udhampur-Srinagar-Baramulla Rail link Project (USBRL) having length of 272 Km long Railway Line from Udhampur to Baramulla joining the Kashmir valley with rest of the country and has been declared as National Project in 2002.
- Out of 272 Km of USBRL Project, work has been completed on 161 Km and commissioned.
- Completion date of the project is April-2023.
Status of work sub-divided under it is as under:
- Udhampur – Katra -25km (commissioned in July 2014)
- Quazigund – Baramulla – 118km (commissioned in Oct., 2009)
- Banihal – Quazigund – 18km (commissioned in June 2013)
- Katra to Banihal- 111km in progress (Target 2022-23)
Katra- Banihal Section of USBRL Project:
- The work on intervening stretch of Katra-Banihal section (111 km) is in progress and this section predominantly involves tunnelling i.e. 97 Km out of 111 Km (i.e. 87%) of length of Katra-Banihal section is in tunnels and maximum length of tunnel T-49 is 12.75 Km.
- There are 27 Main tunnel and 37 Bridges.
- These bridges include the iconic Chenab Bridge which will be the highest railway bridge in the world. Arch Launching of Chenab bridge was completed on 05.04. 2021.
- Indian railway’s first cable-stayed bridge is also being constructed on Anji Khad. Ancillary viaduct portion of Anji khad Bridge has been completed.