(The Gist of PIB) All modules getting ready for Chandrayaan-2 launch [MAY-2019]
(The Gist of PIB) All
modules getting ready for Chandrayaan-2 launch [MAY-2019]
All modules getting ready for
- Chandrayaan-2, India’s second lunar mission, has three modules namely
Orbiter, Lander (Vikram) and Rover (Pragyan).
Highlights of the project
- The Orbiter and Lander modules will be interfaced mechanically and
stacked together as an integrated module and accommodated inside the GSLV
MK-III launch vehicle.
- The Rover is housed inside the Lander. After launch into earth bound
orbit by GSLV MK-III, the integrated module will reach Moon orbit using
Orbiter propulsion module.
- Subsequently, Lander will separate from the Orbiter and soft land at the
predetermined site close to the lunar South Pole.
- Further, the Rover will roll out for carrying out scientific experiments
on the lunar surface. Instruments are also mounted on the Lander and Orbiter
for carrying out scientific experiments.
- All the modules are getting ready for Chandrayaan-2 launch during the
window of July 09 to July 16, 2019, with an expected Moon landing on
September 06, 2019.