(The Gist of PIB) Exercise Group Sail [MAY-2019]
(The Gist of PIB) Exercise Group
Exercise Group Sail
- IN Ships Kolkata and Shakti carried out Group Sail with naval ships of
Japan, Philippines and the United States of America in the South China Sea
from 03 May to 09 May 19.
- The six-day long Group Sail had participation of six combatants from the
four participating countries and included the Guided Missile Destroyer INS
Kolkata and Fleet Support Ship INS Shakti of India, Helicopter Carrier JMSDF
Izumo and Guided Missile Destroyer JMSDF Murasame of Japan; Frigate BRP
Andres Bonifacio of Philippines and Arleigh Burke Class Destroyer USS
Williams P Lawrence of USA.
- The Group Sail was aimed to deepen the existing partnership and foster
mutual understanding among participating navies.
- The ships undertook various exercises en route which included formation
manoeuvering, underway replenishment runs, cross-deck flying and exchange of
- The Group Sail exercise with naval ships of Japan, Philippines and
United States showcased India’s commitment to operating with like-minded
nations to ensure safe maritime environment through enhanced
- IN Ships are on return passage from their successful deployment to South
and East China Seas as part of the annual Eastern Fleet Over Seas Deployment
during which they visited Cam Ranh Bay, Vietnam, Qingdao, China and Busan,
- Whilst at Qingdao, both the ships had participated in the International
Fleet Review (IFR) as part of the 70th Anniversary Celebration of PLA
- During the ships’ stay in Busan, the IN Ships took part in the Opening
Ceremony of Maritime Security (MS) Field Training Exercise (FTX) under the
aegis of ADMM-PLUS.
ADMM-PLUS MS FTX
- On departing Busan, both the ships participated in ADMM-PLUS MS FTX
Phase I exercises from 01 May to 03 May 19 off South Korea with Navies of
Brunei, China, Malaysia, Philippines, Singapore, South Korea and the USA.
- Group Sail progressed from 03 May to 09 May. The Phase II of ADMM-PLUS
MS FTX is scheduled from 09 May to 12 May 19 in the South China Sea.
- On completion of Phase II, all participating ships including IN Ships
Kolkata and Shakti are scheduled to attend the closing ceremony of ADMM-PLUS
MS and participate in the International Maritime Defence Expo (IMDEX) 2019