(The Gist of PIB) Exercise Varuna 19.1 [MAY-2019]
(The Gist of PIB) Exercise
Varuna 19.1 [MAY-2019]
Exercise Varuna 19.1
- The first part of the Indo-French joint naval exercise, Varuna 19.1 will
be conducted off the Goa coast from 1st to 10th May 19.
- The upcoming 17th edition includes participation of the French Navy’s
aircraft carrier FNS Charles de Gaulle, two destroyers, FNS Forbin and FNS
Provence, the frigate FNS Latouche-Treville, the tanker FNS Marne and a
- From the Indian side, the aircraft carrier INS Vikramaditya, destroyer
INS Mumbai, the Teg-class frigate, INS Tarkash, the Shishumar- class
submarine, INS Shankul, and the Deepak- class fleet tanker, INS Deepak, will
be participating in this exercise.
- The exercise will be conducted in two phases.
- The harbour phase at Goa would include cross-visits, professional
interactions and discussions and sports events. The sea phase would comprise
various exercises across the spectrum of maritime operations.
- The second part, Varuna 19.2, is scheduled to be held at the end of May
Aim of this exercise
- The bilateral naval exercise initiated in 1983 and christened as
‘Varuna’ in 2001, form a vital part of the Indo-French strategic
- Having grown in scope and complexity over the years, this exercise
exemplifies the strong relations between the two nations, in line with the
Joint Strategic Vision of India-French Cooperation in the Indian Ocean
Region signed by President Emmanuel Macron and Prime Minister Narendra Modi
during the former’s State visit to India in March 2018.
- The Varuna exercise aims at developing interoperability between the two
navies and fostering mutual cooperation by learning from each other’s best
practices to conduct joint operations.
- The exercise underscores the shared interests and commitment of both
nations in promoting maritime security.