(The Gist of PIB) Fourth Scorpene-class submarine INS Vela launched [MAY-2019]
(The Gist of PIB) Fourth
Scorpene-class submarine INS Vela launched [MAY-2019]
Fourth Scorpene-class submarine INS
- Vela, the fourth Scorpene class submarine being constructed by Mazagon
Dock Shipbuilders Limited for the Indian Navy, was launched on 06 May 2019.
- This event reaffirms the steps taken by Mazagon Dock Shipbuilders Ltd (MDL)
in the ongoing ‘Make In India’ programme, which is being actively
implemented by the Department of Defence Production (MoD).
- The submarine was towed to Mumbai Port Trust, for separation from the
pontoon, after which she will undergo rigorous trials and tests, both in
harbour and at sea before delivery to the Indian Navy.
- The contract for the construction and Transfer-of-Technology for six
Scorpene class submarines in series, has M/s Naval Group (formerly DCNS) of
France as ‘Collaborator’ and are being built by MDL.
- The Scorpene class of submarines can undertake multifarious tasks
typically undertaken by any modern submarine which include anti-surface as
well as anti-submarine warfare.
- The transfer of technology involves appropriate technical support by
Naval Group to MDL in the field of construction, integration and tests of
the submarines in India which is achieved through transfer of technical data
package to MDL through information system as well as on job training to
MDL’s personnel on critical technologies.
- Leveraging the experience and the transfer-of-technology of the Scorpene
project, with enhanced and upgraded infrastructure, MDL, is ready for
undertaking construction of the future submarines.