(The Gist of PIB) National Centre for
Sustainable Coastal Management
National Centre for Sustainable Coastal Management
The Ministry set up the National Centre for Sustainable Coastal Management (NCSCM),
Chennai to undertake studies and research in the area of Coastal Zone Management
including coastal resources and environment.
- Strive for being a World Class Knowledge Institution related to coastal
zones, environment, resources and processes,
- To promote integrated and sustainable management of the coastal and
marine areas in India for the benefit and wellbeing of the traditional
coastal and island communities, and
- Advise the Union and State Governments and other associated
stakeholder(s) on policy, and scientific matters related to Integrated
Coastal Zone Management (ICZM).
- The six (06) research divisions of the NCSCM are: Geospatial Sciences,
Remote Sensing and Geographic Information Systems (GIS), Integrated Social
Sciences and Economics, Coastal environmental impact assessment,
Conservation of Coastal and Marine Resources, Knowledge, Governance and
Policy, and Futuristic Research and Integrated Island Management Unit.
- Survey of India and NCSCM have mapped the Hazard Line for the entire
coast of India, which includes vulnerability mapping of flood, erosion and
sea level rise.
- The outputs will be used by all the coastal States and UTs in managing
coastal vulnerability in the coming years and as a tool for preparation of
disaster management plans.
- The Government of India is committed to taking all necessary steps in
supporting NCSCM to achieve its goals, in its efforts to develop into a
world class institution.
- NCSCM is partnering with leading national and international research
institutions and agencies through advanced research, networking, scientific
committees and peer reviewed publications in international journals.
- NCSCM is mandated to disseminating knowledge pertaining to coastal
management by capacity building at all levels for the benefit of coastal
communities and stakeholders.
- NCSCM’s Integrated Coastal Zone Management (ICZM) Plan has been
developed on international standards that can be replicated in other parts
of the World. Science based knowledge on coastal management developed by the
Centre is used extensively for policy decisions.
- NCSCM’s cutting-edge research infrastructure provides for world class
research outputs and decision support system that directly enables policy
decisions. NCSCM’s state-of-the-art laboratory facilities provide an
excellent opportunity to other Indian universities, Research Institutes,
Government agencies for a collaborative research with NCSCM in the field of
integrated coastal management.