(The Gist of PIB) Social Media Platforms Present Voluntary Code of Ethics [APRIL-2019]
(The Gist of PIB) Social Media
Platforms Present Voluntary Code of Ethics [APRIL-2019]
Social Media Platforms Present
Voluntary Code of Ethics
- Social media platforms and the Internet and Mobile Association of India
(IAMAI) on Wednesday presented a ‘Voluntary Code of Ethics for the General
Election 2019’ to the Election Commission.
- This code will become effective and will enter into force on March 20,
2019,” they said in a statement, adding that it would remain operational
during the election.
- The code’s purpose is to identify measures that the platforms can take
to increase confidence in the electoral process. It is also to safeguard
against misuse that vitiates the “free and fair character” of the Lok Sabha
- According to the code, the platforms will endeavour to, “where
appropriate and keeping in mind the principle of freedom of expression,”
deploy appropriate policies and processes to facilitate access to
information on electoral matters.
- Campaigns will be organised to create awareness, including on electoral
laws and other instructions from the Election Commission of India (EC).
- The platforms and the Commission have developed a notification mechanism
by which the electoral body can notify them of potential violations under
Section 126 of the Representation of the People Act, and on other
- These valid legal orders will be acknowledged and/or processed within
three hours for violations reported under Section 126 as per the Sinha
Committee recommendations. All other valid legal requests will be acted upon
expeditiously by the participants, based on the nature of reported
violation,” said the Code.
- A high-priority dedicated reporting mechanism is being created for the
EC and dedicated persons appointed for the purpose. The platforms will also
ensure that political advertisements by parties or their candidates are
- “Participants will, pursuant to a valid request received from the EC,
via Internet and Mobile Association of India (IAMAI), provide an update on
the measures taken by them to prevent abuse of their respective platforms,”
it said. The IAMAI will coordinate with the platforms on the steps taken
under the code.