(The Gist of PIB) Sub-categorization of OBCs [MAY-2019]
(The Gist of PIB) Sub-categorization
of OBCs [MAY-2019]
Sub-categorization of OBCs
- The Government has constituted a Commission under article 340, on 2nd
October, 2017, to examine the issues of the sub-categorization of Other
Backward Classes with the following terms of reference.
- To examine the extent of inequitable distribution of benefits of
reservation among the castes or communities included in the broad category
of Other Backward Classes with reference to such classes included in the
- To work out the mechanism, criteria, norms and parameters in a
scientific approach for sub-categorisation within such Other Backward
- To take up the exercise of identifying the respective castes or
communities or sub-castes or synonyms in the Central List of Other Backward
Classes and classifying them into their respective sub-categories.
- The Commission to Examine Sub-categorization of Other Backward Classes
was to initially submit its report in twelve weeks from the date of
assumption of charge by the Chairperson.
- Since considerable time was taken up in obtaining the data and
thereafter in analyzing of the data, the tenure of the Commission has been
extended from time to time and last till 31.05.2019 vide a Gazette
Notification dated 29.11.2018 with the approval of Cabinet and President.
- The issue of survey is under consideration in the Commission to Examine
Sub-categorization of Other Backward Classes.
Scholarship for economic development
- The Government is implementing the following educational empowerment and
economic development Schemes for Other Backward Classes (OBCs)
- Pre-Matric scholarship for Other Backward Classes.
- Post-Matric scholarship for Other
- Backward Classes.
- Construction of Hostels for OBC Boys and Girls.
- Assistance for Skill Development of Other Backward Classes (OBCs)/Denotified
and Semi-Nomadic Tribes (DNTs)/ Economically Backward Classes (EBCs to
voluntary organizations working for thewelfare of OBCs.Free Coaching Scheme
for SC and OBC Students.
- Dr. Ambedkar Scheme of Interest subsidy on educational loan for overseas
studies for Other Backward Classes (OBCs) and EBCs.