(The Gist of Science Reporter) Turtle Tracking Devices [MARCH-2020]
(The Gist of Science Reporter) Turtle Tracking Devices
Turtle Tracking Devices
- All the marine turtles are well-known for their distant migration for breeding and feeding.
- However, every year the population of turtles migrating to India Waters is decreasing.
- A large number of breeding individuals die every year along the Indian coastline, and it has become a major concern.
- To tackle this issue, turtle tracking or turtle tagging techniques have been used.
- This technology uses satellite telemetry tags to protect sea turtles.
In this technique, a Platform Terminal Transmitter (PTT) is attached to the back of a sea turtle.
The PTT sends a signal to the satellite each time when the turtle surfaces for air.
The satellite re-transmits the data to a receiving station on earth.
In India the technique has been used in Chennai to make fishermen aware about the feeding grounds of turtles.
This is Only Sample Material, To Get Full Materials Buy The Gist 1 Year Subscription - "Only PDF" Click Here
Courtesy: Science Reporter