(GIST OF SCIENCE REPORTER) AqCure
- IIT Delhi-incubated startup Nanosafe Solutions has developed a range of antimicrobial i.e. antiviral, antibacterial and antifungal water storage containers and launched it as "AqCure", which is based on the inherent antimicrobial properties of copper.
How AqCure works?
- AqCure is a patented technology in which active nano-copper is released in a sustainable manner from a polymer matrix.
- The released copper makes the outer and inner surface of the container antimicrobial, reducing transmission of microbes upon direct contact, and making the stored water microbiologically safe.
- Additionally, the released copper in water is within permissible limits and thus fortifies stored water as copper is also an essential micronutrient, needed for growth.
- AqCure water storage containers are available in different size variants from 700 ml office bottles to 1-liter refrigerator bottles to be used at homes to 10-20-litre bubble tops and cans used for storage and distribution of potable water.
- AqCure polymer masterbatch (polymers compounded with active nano-copper) granules based on different carrier polymers are also available, which can be used in polymer molding and extrusion operations to make the final products antimicrobial.
- The concept has also won the Biotechnology Ignition Grant (BIG), sponsored by BIRAC, Department of Biotechnology, GoI.
Courtesy: Science Reporter