(GIST OF YOJANA) National Virtual
Library of India
National Virtual Library of India
- The objective of National Virtual Library of India (NVLI) is to
facilitate creation of a comprehensive database on digital resources of
India on information about India in an open access environment.
Salient features of NVLI are : -
- Federated searching through multilingual user interfaces.
- Virtual learning environment
- E-Governance platform facilitating data analytics
- Multilingual searching and retrieval on ontology/thesaurus based.
- The project of creation of National Virtual Library of India
costing Rs.72.34 crore had been entrusted to IIT Bombay (in collaboration
with C-DAC, Pune and IGNOU, Delhi). An amount of Rs.71.78 crore has been
released by Government to IIT Bombay till date.
- The core software application and cloud infrastructure for NVLI
has been developed. Soft launch of NVLI has been done on 15th February,
2018. Harvesting of Metadata and its curation is on.
- As per the Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) signed between
National Mission on Libraries and IIT Bombay on 26.04.2016, the time frame
for completion of the project by IIT Bombay is 3 years. The Ministry of
Culture continuously monitors the progress of the NVLI project.
- The above information was given by Minister of State (independent
charge) for Culture and Minister of State for Environment, Forest and
Climate change Dr. Mahesh Sharma, in reply to an Unstarred Question in the
For Study Materials Call Us at +91 8800734161 (MON-SAT 11AM-7PM)