UPSC Recruitment Paper 2017 : Posts of Senior Scientific Assistants (Computer) in DGAQA, Ministry of Defence
1. Consider the following statements:
1. A mouse listener can keep other mouse listeners from receiving a mouse event by invoking the consume ( ) method on Mouse Event Object
2. To enable events for a component, one must first invoke enable Events ( ) with the appropriate flags
Which of the above statement(s) is / are correct?
(a) 1 only
(b) 2 only
(c) Both 1 and 2
(d) Neither 1 nor 2
2. When an exception is thrown but not caught in a particular scope, the method-call stack is ‘unwound’, and an attempt is made to catch the exception in the next outer try block. This process is called
(a) Rethrowing Exception
(b) Stack Unwinding
(c) Stack Unwounding
(d) Stack Tracing
3. Consider the following tables:
The result of the division LANGUAGES / CITY in relational algebra is:
(a) A table containing first three rows of LANGUAGES
(b) A table with a single column LANGUAGE and a single row “Hindi”
(c) A table with two columns CITY and LANGUAGE and a single row = “aa”, “Hindi”
(d) A table having the first, third and fifth rows of LANGUAGES
4. Consider the following statements:
In DRMBS, the second normal form(s) is/are:
1. A composite attributes is converted to individual attributes
2. Non key attributes are functional dependent on key attributes
3. The non key attributes functionally dependent on not a part of key attributes
Which of the above statements is/are correct?
(a) 1 only
(b) 2 only
(c) 3 only
(d) 1, 2 and 3
5. In a relation (table) if a non key attribute is fully functionally dependent on composite key, then the relation (table) is in:
(a) DKNF (Domain Key Normal Form)
(b) BCNF (Boyce - Codd Normal Form)
(c) Fourth Normal Form
(d) Third Normal Form
6. Consider the following relational Schema for a library database:
Book (Title, Author, Catalog_no, Publisher, Year, Price) Collection (Title, Author, Catalog_no)
With the following functional dependencies:
1. Title, Author → Catalog_no
2. Catalog_no →Title, Author, Publisher, Year
3. Publisher, Title, Year→ Price
Assume (Author, Title) is the key for both the schema which one of the following statements is correct?
(a) Both book and collection are in BCNF only
(b) Both book and collection are in 3 NF only
(c) Book is in 2 NF and collection is in 3 NF
(d) Both book and collection are in 2 NF only
7. The simple object model that is frequently used for database applications and which is easier to understand and use than OLE DB is:
8. Which one of the following CPU scheduling algorithms suffers from starvation?
(a) Round Robin
(b) FCFS (First Come First Serve)
(c) SJF (Shortest Job First)
(d) Multilevel Queues
9. An operating system uses swapping. A running process encounters the need to wait for an event. The correct sequence of states for the process to re-enter its running stage is:
(a) Blocked → Blocked - Ready → Blocked - suspended → Ready →Running
(b) Blocked - suspended → Blocked - Ready → Blocked → Ready →Running
(c) Ready → Running → Blocked → Ready→ Running
(d) Blocked→ Blocked-suspended → Blocked-Ready → Ready →Running
10. What is the maximum possible disk space for a cluster size of 2 kbyts for a MS-DOS disk system?
(a) 128 mbyts
(b) 512 mbyts
(c) 512 mbyts
(d) 128 mbyts
11. Consider the following consistency semantics:
1. Writes to an open file by a user are visible immediately to other users that have this file open.
2. Once a file is closed, the changes made to it are visible only in sessions starting later. Already open instances of the file do not reflect these changes.
3. A file has a single image that interleaves all accesses regardless of their origin.
Which of the above are used in UNIX file system?
(a) 1, 2 and 3
(b) 1 and 2 only
(c) 1 and 3 only
(d) 2 and 3 only
12. If a host broadcasts a frame that includes a source and destination hardware address, and its purpose is to assign ???????? addresses to itself, which protocol at the Network layer does the host use?
13. What range of addresses can be used in the first octet of a class B network address?
(a) 1 – 126
(b) 1 – 127
(c) 128 – 190
(d) 128 – 191
14. The transport layer protocols used for real time multimedia, file transfer, DNS and E-MAIL respectively are
(a) TCP,UDP,UDP and TCP
(b) TCP,UDP,TCP and UDP
(c) UDP,TCP,UDP and TCP
(d) UDP,TCP,TCP and UDP
15. In a LAN network every system is identified by
(b) MAC Address
(c) IP Address
(d) Serial number given by manufacturer