UPSC Recruitment Paper 2018 : Air Safety Officer (Aeronautical Engineering)
UPSC Recruitment Paper 2018 : Air Safety Officer
1. Air flowing at high speed in a wind tunnel has pressure and temperature equal to 0.3 atm and -1000 C, respectively. What is the specific volume? (Take 1 atm as 1.01× 10-5 N m-2)
(A) 3.2 m3/kg
(B) 1.6 m3/kg
(C) 0.8 m3/kg
(D) 0.4 m3/kg
2. What is the indication of last two digits in an early NACA 2412 airfoil series?
(A) maximum camber number
(B) maximum thickness
(C) maximum chord
(D) maximum diameter
3. Which type of drag does arise from the resolved components of the tangential stresses on the surface of the body, when viscous fluid flows along the surface?
(A) Trailing vortex drag
(B) Wave drag
(C) Surface friction drag
(D) Boundary layer normal-pressure drag
4. Which one of the following statements is true for the airplane performance conditions that occur at maximum Lift/Drag ratio?
(A) Maximum range of propeller-driven airplanes
(B) Maximum flow of air
(C) Maximum fuel consumption
(D) Maximum surface area for airplanes
5. An airfoil has the root chord of 1.8 m and tip chord of 0.9 m. What is the taper ratio?
(A) is equal to 0
(B) is equal to -1
(C) does not exist
(D) is equal to 2
7. Consider the following statements regarding the forces acting on an airplane in flight:
1. Thrust, drag, lift and weight are the forces on an airplane in flight.
2. The airplane is said to be in state of equilibrium, when thrust and drag are equal and opposite.
3. If weight is greater than lift, the airplane will sink.
4. If thrust is greater than drag, the airplane will decelerate.
Which of the above statements are correct?
(A) 1, 2 and 3 only
(B) 1, 2 and 4 only
(C) 2, 3, and 4 only
(D) 1, 2, 3 and 4
8. Let f ∶ R → R and g ∶ R → R be defined by g(x) = xf(x) then
(A) g is one-one if f is one-one
(B) g is a differentiable function
(C) g is integrable over any finite interval [a, b]:a, b ∈ R
(D) g is differentiable at 0 if f is continuous at 0
Click Here to Download Full Paper PDF
Printed Study Material for UPSC Exams
Courtesy : UPSC