(Current Affairs) Sports | August - 2017
- Grand felicitation for team (Free Available)
- Olympics 2020 (Only for Online Coaching Members)
Grand felicitation for team
- The BCCI is planning a grand felicitation for the Indian women’s cricket team which won a billion hearts despite a heartbreaking loss in the World Cup final at Lord’s on Sunday.
- The players will be presented with cheques for Rs. 50 lakh each while the support staff will receive Rs. 25 lakh each.
- Efforts are also on for an interaction with Prime Minister Narendra Modi, who has praised the team.
- Japan began the three-year countdown to the 2020 Tokyo Olympics with celebrations and fanfare, even as organisers struggle to contain soaring costs and restore credibility.
- Japanese celebrities and athletes dressed in bright kimonos gathered for the launch of a remake of a popular 1964 Tokyo Olympics song, as organisers promised to turn the 2020 Games into the biggest “natsu matsuri” (summer festival) ever.
- The International Olympic Committee, fearful that ballooning budgets could see future Olympic bids dry up, last month praised local organisers for slashing costs.
- Progress on the financial front comes after a rocky start when the initial roll-out of the centrepiece Olympic stadium was bungled, forcing Prime Minister Shinzo Abe in 2015 to tear up the blueprints amid public anger over its price tag. A new and cheaper plan was unveiled later that year.
- Japan also observed a national exercise to encourage tens of thousands of commuters to work from home, in a bid to ease rail and road congestion before the 2020 Tokyo Olympics and reform the country’s workaholic culture.