(Exam Paper) UPSC IAS Mains 2000: Geography
1. On the supplied outline map of the world mark any TEN of the
following and also write in your answer script the most significant aspect of
each of them in not more than TEN words :
(a) Addis Ababa
(c) Mt. Cotopaxi
(d) Mt. Gunnbjorn
(f) Amu Darya
(g) Long Island
(h) Nubian Desert
(i) Karkloof Waterfall
(j) Yellow Sea
(k) Great Bear Lake
(l) Welland Canal.
2. With reference to the theory of Plate Tectonics, explain the
origin and growth of the young Fold Mountain Systems of the world.
3. Give an account of the types and distribution of
precipitation on the surface of the earth.
4. Discuss the causes and consequences of environmental
degradation and highlight the related conservation measures.
5. Write short notes on any THREE of the following (each answer
should be in about 200 words) :
(a) T-S diagram
(b) Soil Profile
(c) Rank-Size Rule
(d) The limits to growth.
6. Discuss the causes and consequences of population migration
in the world.
7. Explain the basis and applicability of Christallar’s Central
Place Theory. Bring out the recent modifications.
8. What is a region ? Discuss the types of regions and the
methods of regionalization
Paper - II
1. Draw an outline map of India covering the major portion of a
page of your answer-book and mark on it ten of the following entries :
(ii) Narmada river
(iii) Chilka lake
(vii) Satpura range
(viii) Aravalli hills
(ix) Bombay High
(x) Kaziranga National Park
(xi) Kargil region
(xii) National Highway No. 7
2. Describe the structure and relief features of Peninsular
3. Analyse the distribution of population in India in the
perspective of natural resources and identify the over-populated and
under-populated regions in the country.
4. Discuss the growth, location and distribution of Iron and
Steel Industry in India.
5. Answer any three of the following in about 200 words each
(a) Explain the concept of multi-level planning in India
(b) Analyse the recent trends in Indian International Trade.
(c) Examine the National Forest Policy of India.
(d) Discuss the environmental impact of the growth of slums in Indian cities.
6. Describe the salient characteristics of the morphology of
7. Analyse the role of India in the geo-politics of the Indian
8. Give a reasoned account of either flood hazards or drought
hazards occurring in India, and also suggests measures for controlling them.